Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Storm Trooper Helmet.

null

It was a test for me given by a company. What went wrong in this? Sorry if posted in wrong place. Kindly guide me.

Replies

• Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    What are you actually asking? Have you made this helmet? Have you been rejected from the company and are now looking for feedback? It's a bunch of reference images.
  • Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    @Auldbenkenobi his work is the images under the references
    @sarfrazio if you are asking from a 'didn't get job' perspective there could be a lot of factors
    In just the 3d aspect your helmet is more squared off than the reference. The sides are too vertical.  Your base bump map is a little wonky and too evident
    It's a nice model over all. I feel like you hit clone wars animated style rather than live action. 
    If the company was looking for recreation then it missed the mark. If the company was looking for similar then you did pretty good 
  • monodrobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monodrobe polycounter lvl 9
    The material response isnt quite the same, like skinner  said your bump is off. The source is pretty smooth paint. Overall the main material is a smooth paint with chips missing and dirt smudges on top. Your mat reads as rougher, a wider spec response, the source is quite tight. so you want a smooth rough value with a low metal value, possibly none. Your paint chips would be helped by the normal map making the change in surface clearer
  • undin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    undin polycounter lvl 2

The black band that cirlces around the forehead of the storm trooper is extruded in the ref , but not in your model. Seems like the bottom part of the helmet is kinda bigger in the ref as well. The materials you made do not seem to match the ref either, it looks like a thick shiny smooth plastic kinda paint. Yours looks like a thin, matt kinda bumpy paint. It think it would look better if you turned off the environment image entirely in your software because the reflections in the glass would look better without it.

• sarfrazio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sarfrazio null

These are the visual guide.
  • sarfrazio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sarfrazio null
    @Skinner3D : Thank you for the reply.... I love the way you explained. I will surely on it.
  • sarfrazio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sarfrazio null
    And also, there was a limit of 3200 tris given by the company.
  • sarfrazio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sarfrazio null
    @@monodrobe : They gave me the visual guide. So I was supposed to finish the same way. Material I meant.
  • sarfrazio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sarfrazio null
    @Skinner3D : It was kinda difficult to model it with the reference I was given. SO I just browsed on google for blueprint or something. Found one and then I modeled accordingly.
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    Everything looks pretty decent to me, but the materials and wearing needed a bit more attention, IMO.  Looks a bit too much like procedurals without hand editing/painting of details.
  • Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    sarfrazio said:
    @Skinner3D : It was kinda difficult to model it with the reference I was given. SO I just browsed on google for blueprint or something. Found one and then I modeled accordingly.
    I figured as much unfortunately there are five or six different versions of helmet used in the movies. Getting the same one is rough. 
  • sarfrazio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sarfrazio null
    aclund3 said:
    Everything looks pretty decent to me, but the materials and wearing needed a bit more attention, IMO.  Looks a bit too much like procedurals without hand editing/painting of details.

I have done a little detailing with hand. Not too much really.