Home Technical Talk

Unique folder naming problem

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
YannickStoot polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys,

I've been working on some packages for the Unity Asset Store in the past weeks and I'm running into some problems with the file structure.  The main thing I want to achieve is that it will be future proof.

This is the structure that I have right now:

000008-Frisbee is a frisbee model that will be uploaded as a single model.
Beach Toys is a combination package that features an instance of the frisbee model.

Now the problem I still have is with the 000008. It is ugly and will show up in the customer's folder structure.
This number is needed:
1) To know which model in my production folder is referenced to. (this is more of a wish than a need)
2) Make a unique folder that cannot be the same as a future frisbee model I might be uploading. Just "Frisbee" is not good enough.

So my question is whether you guys have a better solution for the above named problems?

Replies

• Bruno Afonseca
    I'm not sure if I understand fully what you're going for here, but my naming conventions go like SM_Env_Prop_Frisbee_00 and I'd increment the number in case variations are necessary.  I'd only make a special folder for the frisbee if it had a lot of variations, materials, animations and whatnot. If not, I'd just lump all the beach toys together in the same folder.
  • YannickStoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if I understand fully what you're going for here, but my naming conventions go like SM_Env_Prop_Frisbee_00 and I'd increment the number in case variations are necessary.  I'd only make a special folder for the frisbee if it had a lot of variations, materials, animations and whatnot. If not, I'd just lump all the beach toys together in the same folder.
    The reason I am making a separate folder for the frisbee is because it will be uploaded as a single model AND as part of a combination package like the beach toys. So essentially it is uploaded twice. This is so that I can split test the individual value of each model.
  • YannickStoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't find a proper solution but perhaps the one I was already using is the only one. Fixed the hierarchy to a separation in the 2 types.