Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Inventor's Laboratory

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
Working on this concept for a uni brief. 

Concept: 

(https://www.artstation.com/artwork/XJeLD)

Blockout progress:

Struggling to get the platform to fit into the scene properly, but the rest of the blockout is pretty close. Not entirely sure how the roof is supposed to work in the concept so I am basing it on a groin vault.

Would appreciate some crit on the blockout so far :)

Replies

• Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished building the modular pieces (except the floor) and assembled it in engine. I had a few lightmap errors but I think I managed to mostly fix them. (lighting is extremely WIP and will definitely be changed, mostly just for testing purposes atm)

without the props:

Next job is to start on the brick substance.
  • Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on a brick tonight, only managed to get the base done so far. Still need to work on the grout and getting the albedo done. First time finishing a full material in substance (only did small tests and played around with nodes before) so I am still learning the specifics of the program.

This tutorial was really good for getting the base shape of the bricks done. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpsLg44gSg8

Will see if I can get this textured tomorrow. Then onto the floor and ceiling. 
  • Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Started redoing my bricks today. The albedo needs a lot of work (still learning methods for doing it), fairly happy with the height information so far though. 

• Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update on the substance, added more grunge and dirt. I need to fine tune the tile gen values so that the seams don't line up and add a proper roughness map still.

• Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    More update on the bricks:

• Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to update here.

Did a rework of the brick roughness to make them look less plastic.

Modelled the main prop for the scene, the big machine in the middle. Got it a low poly and baked down. Realized I forgot to add any ports for the cables at the back, wont be seen in the environment but will make more sense if I do a marmoset viewer scene.

High poly: 

Bake in sketchfab. Need to fix some areas but other than that its pretty solid. The floating geo to the left will be used for the dials. Need to apply an alpha for it. Glass will be done as a separate material in UE4.  

Next step after fixing the issues is texturing :)

• RustySpannerz
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    Looking good so far! I really like that concept, this looks like a fun project to work on. 
  • Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on texturing the machine today.

Still needs work, need to add in dials too. Made it a bit rustier than the concept because it looked a bit plain without it. 
  • Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    platform textured, now need to assemble/lightmap it. Sculpted in zbrush, base tiling texture in photoshop, projected in substance painter, dirt/scratching done in quixel.

• Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice texture work so far. What are you using for it?
  • Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    The machine was done in quixel. The wood was a mix of a sculpt in zbrush, a wood texture from cgtextures and some additional masks in quixel to add the highlights and cavity dirt. Used the UV projection in substance painter to get the wood applied then used that as a base in quixel. 
  • Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Another prop finished. The shelves on the left side of the concept. Will flip the planks so the duplication is left obvious.

• mutatedjellyfish
    Offline / Send Message
    mutatedjellyfish polycounter lvl 10
    The handsculpting is really nice. It's neat to see a more realistic treatment with that hand crafted touch!
  • Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Not updated this for a while, been working on some assets over the last week. 

Polished concrete floor WIP:

• Geausselain
    Offline / Send Message
    Geausselain polycounter lvl 6
    Wow! This is so great! So much great stuff here. I will follow your devellopements with impatience! Keep doing! :smiley:
  • Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the bricks on, need some tweaking still. Next job is doing the arch trim and creating some brick models to break up the edges.

• Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the arches in, corner brick trims, paint cans and pictures on the wall. Need to sort out light-maps for the arches and bricks still. 

Paintcans

• Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update, lighting still very WIP. Hoping to get this done (or atleast close enough) in the next couple weeks.

• Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Should probably update this thread, its been a while. Still got a few tweaks to make before hand in (make bricks redder, add bucket and paper box, add subtle warping to tables, add dials to main machine). Will probably be coming back to this over summer. 

• Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Hi, that is looking great :) do you use 1 texture for each object or do you pack many together?
  • Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Larry :)

Its only a uni project so I am not too bothered about packing multiple objects together, so pretty much all the big props have their own textures. The cables on that center pillar are a set of tiling cables and a few different brackets all packed into one texture. If it was industry or a bigger scene I probably would merge some of the smaller props. 

Some of the little props are packed together to speed up baking/texturing, the tools on the table next to the machine are packed along with some screws and bolts. The architectures all tiling textures.
  • ParksMarks
    Offline / Send Message
    ParksMarks polycounter lvl 5
    Hi Doxturtle, 
    Your project looks amazing! At this point, the only feedback I would offer is for polish stuff (if you have the time for it)  I'll include a quick paintover to summarize what I mean.
    lighting; 
    the ceiling is a bit overlit at the moment
    the background area can be darker and bluer, to match the concept
    the background steam could be thicker
    the forground lighting could be warmer and more saturated. if possible, I'd recommend softening the shadows as well
    modeling/texturing; 
    the brickwork on the archway trim is going the wrong way currently
    the concrete floor is a bit too clean and uniform ( and make it shinier)

• Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks for the paint over :)  that yellow/orange light in the foreground work really nicely, ill definitely have a go at getting these changes in.