Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Elf Character

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
SylveriaDreams polycounter lvl 8
Hi! I usually make hand painted environments and prop art, but I wanted to challenge myself and learn a new workflow in Zbrush. So I created my first character and she is going to tie in with my next environment piece.  I still need to learn how to pose her and setup the final beauty shots. But before I move onto that, I wanted to get some feedback. She is a little over 8k polys. Let me know what you think! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Hey there,

This looks really nice, there's some good execution here, the textures are nice and clean, though i think the silver and blue don't really work well together, it also doesn't work as a good break up from the skin to the cloth at her chest. Proportionally she looks nice all the way until the front view.

I think this could really benefit from being re-presented, it looks like you've duplicated the character and rotated it around in the same scene and then taken a single screenshot, don't do that. The perspective is all fucked up on the front on view.

Make a dedicated lighting and camera setup for the full body shots, and another for portrait shots. Use different focal length cameras for them (do a quick search for portrait camera lenses and stuff to get an idea. 55mm and 80mm are good focal lengths to use.
  • SylveriaDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @almighty_gir Thank you for your feedback. I updated my renders and didn't duplicate the character in the same scene like you suggested.
  • SylveriaDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished my night elf character. :) I am working on a re-imagined Shadowglen environment which is where this character will live. 

Diffuse only
    8528 polys 
    2048 x 2048 map

Rendered in marmoset
    See more images on my Artstation  https://www.artstation.com/artwork/QqBqZ

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    good job with the posing! where do you see this character fitting into your environment? is she going to be in that pose, or do you have a different one planned for that?
  • SylveriaDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @bounchfx Thanks! Posing her was a learning experience but I think I have the hang of it now. :) One idea I have is taking a screenshot of the environment (after it is finished) and putting that as the background in marmoset in one of her renders. It will probably be a new pose because I also want to create a weapon and pose her with it.