Home Technical Talk

Blender: Volumetric Lighting/Texture Baking

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Ladytron polycounter lvl 9
Hi.

I'm not sure what you call this exactly, but I'm trying to bake the lighting shining through the window so I can use it as a texture map. Does this make sense? How do I do this. Anyone have tutorials? I've manage to bake somewhat light but it was too distorted. I know it probably had to do with the direction of the lamp but I couldn't fix it. So that is why I am looking for a tutorial. Or at least the name of what I want so I can search it myself. 

I've even found this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoPOAHZ6ltE

However I need it where the light shines through the window from the inside to the outside of the house.  I'm not sure if it makes any difference in this case since I just want to save the ground image. I was wondering if it is possible to save the texture map of the ground light using the  Volumetric Lighting method or do I have bake it? 

I hope this makes sense. Perhaps someone can explain better of what I'm trying to do. Here is an image of what I want:

See I just wish to bake a texture map of that ground lighting. If someone has a tutorial, please link me. Thank you.  o:)

Replies

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    What did you actually try so far?
    You just need to map and select that floor and bake "shadows" or "combined" if you want GI as well.
  • Ladytron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tried setting up a scene with the light shining through the window and I did bake it but the image is really distorted. It doesn't look like the image in my OP. That is why I want a tutorial so I can know exactly what to do.  I also need to know how to get the light to shine from in inside to the outside. 

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Would be good if you show that result and the UW layout.
    What do you mean by " the light to shine from in inside to the outside"? 
  • Ladytron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The tutorial is about creating a scene where the sun/or moon shine through the window of the house (which is basically a sun lamp directed towards the cutout part of a cube). I want the light to shine from inside  the house (the cube) to outside. Like if a room is lit and you can see the light coming through the window from outside the house.  Once that scene is completed I want to bake the light/shadow that appears on the ground  (the plane) and save the texture so I can use it as a texture map. 

Hope this makes sense. I will show you how it looks when I attempt this. 
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    No I meant show your failed result.
    The baking process it the same. I recommend you try a very simple scene first, to make sure you get the result you expect and know how to.
  • Ladytron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I've taken some screenshots of what I'm doing. I used a spot lamp. I put it inside the cube and pointed it downward towards the plane to act as if light is coming out of a house through the window. 

It doesn't look as clean and neat as the Volumetric Lighting tutorial I watch. So I also tried doing it the way the tutorial is done but added a plane under and try tried to bake it and all I got was a black texture. 

I want to be able to bake a texture that looks like this. 

• Ladytron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 said:
    No I meant show your failed result.
    The baking process it the same. I recommend you try a very simple scene first, to make sure you get the result you expect and know how to.
    Hi. Do you have a tutorial that will help? Honestly when I did that tut it looked good in render view, but when I tried to bake it didn't show at all. :(
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    The baked shadow looks correct.
    On the tutorial screenshot the shadow is more blurry, you might wanna check the settings. 
    If you want to bake the bouncing light from the environment (though you don't have any in that scene) use combined bake.

• Ladytron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do I make the Scene? Can you link me a tutorial? I ask because I'm not sure what to look for. I mean it is called. 

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    You made the scene already, the scene is what contains your objects, meshes, lights etc.

I just realised that you are using Blender Internal, switch to Cycles and you probably get a different result already.
    And try some different light types as well.

I don't know any tutorial for this.