Home Adobe Substance

Edge Wear UV Seam Issue [Solved]

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
Hi all!

I just started using Substance Designer and Painter, and I recently began playing with smart masks and generators. I'm trying to texture an asset in Designer, and I've run into an issue...

The edges don't apply correctly to the edges of my model. Any ideas why?
Everywhere there is a UV seam there is an issue. I tried running the generator through a "triplanar projection" node to get rid of the seam after  I saw it work here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=147BcLoHDgc

But all I got was this:

And that is very much NOT correct.

Again, I'm super green to this whole procedural texturing area (come to think of it, texturing in general).
Thanks for any help!

Z

Edit: Just realized I should probably post a picture of the nodes...
The first picture's nodes:

The second picture's nodes:

Cheers!

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Using a triplanar node after the generator will not work and mess up your texture since it will do  a world projection of something that was calculated in UV space. You should have a Triplanar option directly in the Metal Edge Wear generator.
  • Zalek4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
    Alright so I played with that value a bit, and it didn't solve the problem. It just seemed to add more scratches. Am I missing a setting?

I'm wondering why the detail on this UV island is not also on the joining edge of the other UV island:

Is this just how generators work on UV seams? I ask because I noticed on another part of the model where the edges are joined in the UV space there isn't a problem. But as soon as they split, there is an issue.

How do I combat this?

Thanks for your reply @Jerc !
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Compare the placement of the scratches to the white bits on your curvature map -  that will explain why it's happening.

As a fix, Try generating curvature from the tangent space normal map and using that instead of a baked one,  it's more predictable although it comes with its own set of potential artefacts. 

• Zalek4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks @poopipe ! Got it to work after messing with the levels on a curvature map generated from a tangent space map.
  • georgespanswick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    Compare the placement of the scratches to the white bits on your curvature map -  that will explain why it's happening.

As a fix, Try generating curvature from the tangent space normal map and using that instead of a baked one,  it's more predictable although it comes with its own set of potential artefacts. 

How exactly do you do this? I have exactly the same problem

Cheers