Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

House Basement

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
radumitroi polycounter lvl 6
I've had to postpone a scene I was working due to this project. I going to work on a house basement scene.

This is the concept I will be using (I don't know who the artist is).

I only got to block out the scene and work on some textures

And here are some screenshots from Marmoset, so you can have a better look at the textures.

I will be showing the progress here and every kind of critique will be helpful.

Replies

• radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on a couple of props.

I didn't like the straight line where that wall meets the ground, so I decided to add something to break up that straight line.

• fayesmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fayesmith polycounter lvl 7
    If you're not sure where a concept comes from, you can right click it and search Google for image :smile:
    I recognised it though, it's by Reuben McNaughton, from Gorillaz music video 'Saturnz Barz' 
    You should give it a watch, there's lots more angles.
  • radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @fayesmith You're right about the source. I've seen the video before, never recognised the concept though. And those extra angles will help me.

The spot light is there just to light the props, I'll remove it in the future.
  • radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I've changed the position between the boxes and the boiler because the boiler was blocking some of the sun light. As this is already a dark scene, I couldn't let any of the light be blocked, although I liked the boiler's silhouette against the window. There's also some foliage added to the window. I'm going to distort those boxes a little as I don't like how straight they are.
  • radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had some time today for making another model.

And here it is quickly placed inside of Unity. You can't see it very well due to lighting.

• radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looking great; I love the materials!
  • Protokoll_Studio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Protokoll_Studio polycounter lvl 4
    Really nice to scene. I love the materials too and the boiler.

Keep it up :)
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    Great work so far!  It is quite the dark scene, so this probably won't matter, but the end grain of the wood on the work bench isn't quite accurate. Looks like the texture map is simply stretched from the side around the end, but the end grain should have its own treatment. Something more like this.  Love your work so far. Very clausterphobic, in a good kind of way ;)

• radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis @Protokoll_Studio Thank you!

@aclund3 Yeah, I know. The grain was done in zbrush and then the texture did some of the work too. Other planks have that kind of grain at the end. I realised that the grain there was wrong too late and I didn't want to do it again, so I just left like that.

I've also added some geometry to those decals on the ground as I felt they were looking too flat.
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, I hear you. Sometimes we find these things late, and its just... no, nope, I'm done there. Move on!
  • radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've spent the time today working on the couch that will sit in that corner. It was the first time I've sculpted something like this. It was the first time I've sculpted anything more than some edgre wear, really. I'll keep adding props in that area as it's supposed to be a space somebody used for sleeping.

• Eirikra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eirikra polycounter lvl 4
    I really like all the details you add, specially the window, the dirty pane. Is this for a game or just to render? If it's for real-time rendering I think the couch could do with much less polys but overall it's pretty impressive work :)
  • radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eirikra It's for realtime rendering. I guess you're right, I could use less polys and still maintain the details. And thanks.
  • radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've decided to add this arch in order to get rid of that square look that the basement had. Right now I think that the brick on the arch are too small. I should probably double the size of the brick. @Eirikra I've taken the poly count down on the couch, it's now around 5,000 polys with both the cloth and pillow.

• Eirikra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eirikra polycounter lvl 4
    O: It's looking actually kinda homey.
    5k sounds good, how much did it have before?
    Would be cool if you add a wireframe render of that last image, once you're finished of course.
  • radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eirikra The couch alone was about 11,000 without the additional pillow and cloth. Sure, I'll add some wireframes in the future.
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, bricks are a little small. Scaling up somewhere between a factor of 1.5-2 should look right.

Also, to match level of detail a bit more considering the amount of polys in the couch, I'd throw a few more loops in the arch to segment it less. Its the only thing in the scene that screams 'lo-poly game object' to me.
  • radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @aclund3 Yeah, the faceting was kind of obvious. I've redone the arch and added more polys, what do you think about it now? The bricks around the arch look fine to me, but the rest of it I feel it lacks some height information, it's too flat.

• aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that looks much smoother, and I agree with you, I'd add a bit more height to the bricks forming the arch.  Probably not quite as much as when the arch was concrete though.
  • radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I added some wires along the arch to break up the shape and not be so uniform. Also added a couple of pillars around.

• radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone knows a way I can get some AO behind those posters?

• radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving it!  With that much booze, I'm thinking a few people partook, so maybe add another pizza box on the floor or something to match the amount of alcohol to the pizza?  Also, if you've got a small chunk of OSB like that, I wouldn't expect it to be clean and all 90-degree corners. Most of the time on site contractors are using a skill saw and those rarely cut straight, so even just a 5-degree angle bump on one or two of the sides would be more believable to me.  I dunno, just a couple of random story element thoughts...

In this closer shot I'm thinking the wall and floor materials seem a bit scaled up and are a bit 'fuzzy.' On the other hand, I'm totally buying the couch and other fabrics, so nice work there :)
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    aclund3 said:
    With that much booze, I'm thinking a few people partook, so maybe add another pizza box on the floor or something to match the amount of alcohol to the pizza?
    I think one guy could manage 4 beers. :P 
    Nice environment though, I was thinking to break up the ceiling maybe add wooden beams that look like they're supporting the house. I don't know if they would use brick and wood in conjunction like that so maybe look that up first though.
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, geez. I wasn't paying enough attention, thought that was four wine bottles, haha :)
  • radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @aclund3 Yeah, I've had some trouble with the room's materials because the whole room is a single object and that makes the material look lower res. I've tried something, I don't really like the mask at the top of the wall, but the material's resolution looks better now.

I agree with you on that OSB board, looks like it's been perfectly cut, I'll redo that one. I'll add some more food leftovers around. The person living in this place was being kept in there, I don't want to make it look like he was being treated good.

@RustySpannerz I was thinking of adding some, the concept has wood beams on the ceiling too. I just didn't know how it would work with that arch in the middle.
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that resolution is looking better, but I agree, some masking mid wall would probably be good.  A parge coat over brick usually comes apart at the edges and around window or door openings over time.

If you go with wood beams, I might lose the large concrete columns.  They wouldn't go together in the real world... but I suppose it depends on how close to reality you want to be.  Large concrete columns indicate big commercial spaces and/or skyscrapers.  The wood beams would go in the short direction of the room, over the top of the arch. You could raise the ceiling a bit because the wood beams would bring it back down.  The concept looks like 4x10s spaced at about 4-6 feet (I'm guessing), which would indicate at least a 2 story house on top of the basement to me. In my experience, I haven't seen those weird perpendicular blocks between the large beams. Probably would skip those. Lots of random thoughts there, hope some are helpful :)

And as always, you still gotta make it look good, so if you need to break reality then do ;)