Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Zelda Face Shrine [WIP] UE4

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Gremdon polycounter lvl 5
Hey everyone, I'm currently challenging myself to learn UE4's general workflow in the next month. I'm coming from a background of working nearly exclusively in Unity, so there's a little bit of a learning curve. It's still a work-in-progress, so I'll do my best to document as much as possible while I am working. Any feedback and would be appreciated!

I decided to try to re-imagine the Face Shrine from The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening in 3D.

I doodled some of my initial ideas. I had a really hard time trying to wrap my head around translating the 3 rooms in a way that made sense from a first-person view. So I decided to scrap that and make the environment one large room.

After that, I felt comfortable enough to refine the overall concept. I added the pillars and face statues to break up some of the monotony of a large empty room. I may end up adding more more elements later, such as rubble.

I got impatient with planning, so I started the face statue in ZBrush and Substance Painter, since it's one of the more important visual elements in the scene. 

Replies

• Gremdon
    Offline / Send Message
    Slowly making progress over the past few days. Spent some time today working on one of the hero assets, the Wind Fish mural.

I adjusted some aspects of my original concept.  While grayboxing the scene, I saw that the room seemed pretty boring in design. I added archways and a vaulted ceiling to help enhance the overall sense of scale.

I'm also learning a good bit of Substance Design to make the wall and floor tiling textures. Here is my first pass at the wall texture.

• Gremdon
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been while, but I finally got a chance to start working on the scene again.  I've finished up some of the modular pieces and started testing some of the lighting and materials in my scene.

• Gremdon
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a good bit of progress recently. I definitely still want to tweak a few things, such as the moss and overall lighting. I also plan on moving on to the destroyed Armos Statue in the near future.

• Gremdon
    Offline / Send Message
    I've decided to say it's finished for the time being. I've added the destroyed Armos statue and did some minor tweaks to the lighting and placement of assets. Overall, I definitely learned a lot from this project.

Here is the link to the ArtStation page for more screenshots: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/k8X5K

• LorasTyrell
    Offline / Send Message
    LorasTyrell polycounter lvl 5
    This is really good! I like the materials and those roots. The lighting in the ends of the room is really great, but it's very different in the middle. I think it would look great to have more defining shadows around those statues, it would make the scene a lot more dramatic. Right now the shots of the middle almost look unlit 
  • Gremdon
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, The middle section was giving me a lot of problems.  I didn't want to make it too dark, but I think it ended up a bit flat.  I need tweak my settings a good bit more but here's an updated render based on the suggestion: