Home Technical Talk

How to make realistic realtime eyebrows?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Sunray polycounter lvl 7
I'm stuck at making eyebrows at the moment I was wondering what's usually done for eyebrows? Are the cards placed with fiber mesh nanomesh or are they all done with hand or something else? I know that lashes and hair is done by hand often but doing eyebrows with hand seems like hell haha. Anyways just hoping to get some thoughts before I dive into it.

Replies

• Koromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koromo polycounter lvl 4
    Well, you can paint the eyebrows directly as a texture if they going to be thin and straight (mostly woman eyebrows) but if you want a more realistic result either haircards (first card with one/two hairs and then duplicate it arround the mesh,similar to a beard) or fiber/xgen/anything that makes splines of hair.

In my last project, i made the eyebrows with a mixture of polygons and hair cards. Few polygon splines for giving some volumen as a fat strands and the hair cards as wispy/heavy dithered hairs. The last ones are very noticeable and probably is better to use hair cards for the fat splines or reduce their width. Mine are not realistic upclose but at some distance they´re not too bad.

Smoothed as far as i can go with the classic Sphere+Transfer atributtes-> Vertex normals On

And of course, i´ve wasted a lot polygons to give them curvature and volume, 4.4k total for the two eyebrows, lol.

• Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    @koromo Hey, Thanks for sharing your way of doing them I appreciate it they look pretty good!
  • Koromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koromo polycounter lvl 4
    Sunray said:
    @koromo Hey, Thanks for sharing your way of doing them I appreciate it they look pretty good!
    Np m8, but i made them almost from imagination as the eyebrows varies a lot in elderly people so it´s not a "good" reference.

You´re going to have a much better result if you make little haircards with 1-2 hairs and duplicate them making the shape mostly planar, instead of doing a lot of curvature in the cards putting edges as me.

Post if you have some updates!
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Koromo said:
    Sunray said:
    Np m8, but i made them almost from imagination as the eyebrows varies a lot in elderly people so it´s not a "good" reference.

You´re going to have a much better result if you make little haircards with 1-2 hairs and duplicate them making the shape mostly planar, instead of doing a lot of curvature in the cards putting edges as me.

Post if you have some updates!
    Thanks man will do!
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    @Koromo
    Spend some painful time, I decided to place them all with hand with hair cards from 1 to around 10 hairs. I duplicated my first layer of cards and inflated it a bit to give it a fuller look. 
  • Koromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koromo polycounter lvl 4
    @Sunray

See why i say to make a lot of hair cards? they look better than mine haha

But inflating the hair cards...meh, unless you gain a lot of volumen it´s not a common thing to do in realtime, leave them flat and duplicate if you need more volume.

• Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Koromo said:
    @Sunray

See why i say to make a lot of hair cards? they look better than mine haha

But inflating the hair cards...meh, unless you gain a lot of volumen it´s not a common thing to do in realtime, leave them flat and duplicate if you need more volume.

Yeah lazy fix haha.