Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4][WIP] Female character for portfolio

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
stororokw polycounter lvl 3
I don't have any game character pieces in my portfolio and I feel I have learnt enough these past few months to give it a go.
I am still searching for a good concept to follow.

Started working on the head a couple days ago mainly getting the main forms down.

C&C welcomed.

Replies

• VinodSharma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VinodSharma polycounter lvl 7
    Looks good dude .....I think to work  bit work on nose part ... specially the neasel ...can make it more cute
  • stororokw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks VinodSharma! I tried to work on the nose a bit more, but I am not sure if it is noticeable. I will continue to work on the face over the weekend when I get the time to.
  • stororokw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to work on a thief/adventurer type character in a fantasy setting. I will gather some references and post them later.
    I did another iteration on the textures and base forms of the head.

• stororokw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This will be my main source of inspiration, but I will incorporate other designs into it.
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/K4gxR

I worked on the blockout of the hair and made some edits to the face. This time I was trying out xgen.

• stororokw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to get the face closer to the reference and I think the volume for the hair blockout is better now. 
    I meed some C&C on the face please.

• Apocrs1980
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apocrs1980 polycounter lvl 4
    The first thing that stands out to me is that most of her features are smaller and dainty on her facial plane, eyes, eyebrows,  nose, and mouth are all a bit smaller, while the upper portion of her face is wider.  looks as if she also has a slight upturn to her nose but that may be just the perspective.

for something like this I usually import the reference image as a plane and compare my model to it.  

Here is an overlay of the concept lines to illustrate what I am talking about.

Hope that is helpful.
  • stororokw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Apocrs1980
    Thank you very much for the helpful critique. I think just getting another person's opinion is really good thing.

Sadly I think that it is pretty difficult to match the model to the illustration since there is some tilt to the head (model needs to be sculpted in a neutral pose) and perspective mistakes the artist has made, so I am trying to use whatever crappy anatomy knowledge I have and let the computer apply the "correct" perspective.

I made most of her features smaller in accordance with the critique:
    • Reduced the size of the eyes by about 30-50%.
    • Added more curvature to the mouth and reduced the size I will have another look at it after I add in the mouth bag.
    • Slimmed down the chin and cheeks.
    • Made the nose smaller and added more curvature.

wireframe

• Apocrs1980
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apocrs1980 polycounter lvl 4
    Yeah, definitely a challenge when your concept peice is at such an angle, howver I think she's looking a lot truer to the concept now. Nice job!
  • stororokw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, definitely a challenge when your concept peice is at such an angle, howver I think she's looking a lot truer to the concept now. Nice job!
    Thanks for your help Apocrs.

Haven't worked on this for a while. I made some modifications:
    • Redid the lighting and some materials.
    • Tweaked the textures.
    Hopefully when I get to detailing the resulting normal map will break up the specularity on the face.

I did a break down of some of the clothing, but I still need to gather a lot more references before I begin modeling.

• Prabh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prabh polycounter lvl 7
  • stororokw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Prabh.

I started working on the blockout for the clothing.

• stororokw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been tweaking the materials and lighting some more:
    • LPV to bring in some of the bounce lighting.
    • Using a translucent material for the eyelashes because it gives nice shadows and the opacity is soft.
    • Changed the hair textures.
    I am stuck on how to create the lace for the inner clothing. If someone has a good method to do that please let me know. I have tried to use an alpha mask in zbrush and deleting the unwanted polygons, but you need an incredible amount of them for it to capture the details and my computer keeps running out of ram during the process.

I was trying to follow this method
    http://polycount.com/discussion/140158/female-sorcerer-wip-thread/p1

• stororokw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked on the satin/silk material for clothing. There isn't that much information on how to use the cloth material for ue4 and using translucent mode for the opacity doesn't appear to work with it.
    I also added some makeup (eyeshadow and eyeliner).

• stororokw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked on a set of teeth and the material for it.

EDIT: redid lighting. I made the ambient lighting stronger so that it does not have as much contrast with the directional light.
  • stororokw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been procrastinating since the last update and haven't made any progress. I probably find modeling clothing and props to be the most difficult part.
    To try and get back into things I worked on a smile, so that the teeth could be placed in the right location. I used this blog post as a guide. 
    Progress:
    • Smaller eyes.
    • Added a mouth bag to separate the upper and lower lips.
    • Moved about the hair to better match the concept.
    • More edges around the mouth area to minimise stretching when the jaw opens.
    • Did some tests to make sure the body can deform reasonably.

Got that creepy smile down.
  • karytsukino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Nice progress! yeah the smile looks a bit creepy hahaha... like if you only moved the lower lips and the teeths looks a bit lower then it should. But you're doing a fine job. The face looks really similar with the concept, If I could critc I'd say that you could add more folds in her clothes to make it more realistic. In any case good job! :) 
  • stororokw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice progress! yeah the smile looks a bit creepy hahaha... like if you only moved the lower lips and the teeths looks a bit lower then it should. But you're doing a fine job. The face looks really similar with the concept, If I could critc I'd say that you could add more folds in her clothes to make it more realistic. In any case good job! :) 
    Thanks for the critique karytsukino. I have tried to implement them.

Chipped away at this over the weekend. I worked on:
    • Folds for the clothing.
    • UV map and texture for the body.
    • Proportional changes to the face (fuller face, slimmer chin, etc.).
    I am going to redo the hair later.

• stororokw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After taking a break from this I worked on the face again.
    orthographic: