Home Unreal Engine

Camera image planes? [question]

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
RossHildick3D polycounter lvl 3
Hey,

Just wondering if there was a way of getting a camera to display a semi-transparent image overlay when looking through it? This would be useful for reference images and lining up shots to real world images etc.

The result would be something like this: (imagine the geo is not wireframe as this is a different software, in unreal the geo would obviously be solid)

Dont worry about how I would get the geo to fit - I would line up the camera with matchmove software - that's what I do.

** Its important that this would not be geo in the scene as I would like the image to fill the screen when looking through the camera and unaffected by the focal length etc. Much like an image plane setup in max or maya **

Failing that, I will just do this in Maya and import the camera but I'd really like to adjust the cinematic camera in unreal on the fly using this method

Thanks!

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Yes. You could add it as a blendable post process, with half opacity. Do you think this is ideal for what you would need it for?
  • RossHildick3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Obscura,

So I've been googling and reading about cameras in the hope that I could just give you a simple "Yes, Thanks" but it appears I am stupid - Could you explain how I would achieve such a thing? 

The closest I have got is as follows:

"M_REF" being a material with just a base colour - the reference image I want to use - applied. 

Cheers!

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In your material, put a scene texture node. Set it to post process input 0. That contains the rendered scene. Then put your texture. Plug screen position as coordinates into both. Put a lerp, and plud the scene texture node into A, your image to B, and make a scalar parameter, and plug that into that alpha of the lerp. Now make a material instance from this, and assign that as the blendable. You can set the opacity of your image over the scene, using the scalar parameter in the material instance.
  • RossHildick3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah ok that makes sense. I am getting an error though and not sure how to resolve. Anything I'm doing wrong here? I'm using a post Process material, as you can see. Could this be it?

Sorry if this is nooby stuff :/

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Place a component mask after the scene texture, and use r,g,b. By default it output alpha as well , so thats float 4. and your texture is float 3, this is why it reports the error.
  • RossHildick3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, of course! Thanks! working now :smiley: