Home Technical Talk

Maya Top ViewPort Issue

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Ladygrace polycounter lvl 5
In Maya 2017 in the top view port looking down on my object which is a cylinder the verts don't like up, but if i rotate the object the become a perfect line. It is like the camera is skewed in someway and is not perfectly pointing down making it looks like the verts etc are out of line or an earror in the model. Does anyone else have this problem?
If i rotate the model (The model not rotating verts) right those verts will all line up perfect while the the other ones will look like they go out of line.

Replies

• switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    When in the top view, select the camera and make sure Orthographic is checked under Orthographic View? That or your verts aren't flush.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    If you zoom in further, does it still appear misaligned? If so, I think it's your vertices that are the problem, they must be slightly out of line. If they shimmer in and out of alignment, it could be a display issue. I'd bet on it being the vertices themselves.
  • Ladygrace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson said:
    If you zoom in further, does it still appear misaligned? If so, I think it's your vertices that are the problem, they must be slightly out of line. If they shimmer in and out of alignment, it could be a display issue. I'd bet on it being the vertices themselves.
    Ok the question is how to i bring them in alignment with the rest of the verts? as i have no clue how to align the pivot to the correct angle and i cant figure i out or the life of me. if i rotate the object around so it is vertical using the rotate tool and J the perfectly line up even zoomed in really far.
    Here is a a gif of what happens: 
  • Ladygrace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz said:
    When in the top view, select the camera and make sure Orthographic is checked under Orthographic View? That or your verts aren't flush.
    It is checked
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Maybe the native cylinder shape is imperfect? Maybe precision errors bending the procedural method that creates the geometry?
  • Ladygrace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde said:
    Maybe the native cylinder shape is imperfect? Maybe precision errors bending the procedural method that creates the geometry?
    I didnt use any bends in it. I just done some extrusions. I dont know what the problem is :( it was all from a perfect  cylinder
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you select one of the wonky edge loops and look in side and front ortho views, are those totally flat?
  • switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    Damn that's a weird one.. Try deleting all history - then export as obj and reimport to a new scene. Also try create a standard cylinder and see if it happens to that as well.