Home Unreal Engine

Vertex paint on instanced meshes created by blueprints?

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
McGreed polycounter lvl 15
I'm trying to make some optimized blueprints for quickly making mesh sets, such as columns, walls, ect, and has run into a problem with vertex paint.
As an example, look at the simple repeating mesh blueprint below. I wanted to use instanced meshes for performance reasons, however it seem that if you do that, you cannot use vertex paint on them, which I guess might make sense, but what would be the best compromise for having repeating meshes and using vertex paint?
Also, is it possible to remove the blueprint and leave the meshes in the scene?

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Hm. Foliage which is instanced static meshes, can have vertex colors so this is kinda strange. I don't know. But yes, you can "bake" meshes from blueprints. I think its as simple as right clicking on it on the world outliner and there will be a button to make a mesh from it. As far as I remember. 

You should set that mesh outide of the loop though. Currently you are re-setting it on every turn of the loop.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah good point, should do that. Regarding baking it, the only thing I found was convert to mesh or something like that, which doesn't actually take the whole constructed set of meshes but one mesh.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This could be because its instances. Try adding simple static mesh components, and convert that.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I will lose out on optimization with that then. This is what it looks like when I convert my BP railing with  to mesh:

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you would bake it anyways, it doesn't matter how it is in the blueprint, that is basically a mesh generator. Becase after creating the meshes, you would remove the bp from the level.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay. And I guess if I want the bake part, I need to change it from instanced meshes anyway, which would make the vertex paint work as well again.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes. Be careful though, don't group too many in a long shape because you won't be able to efficiently cull and lod. Don't make the railing of the balcony around a whole building to be one mesh for example.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, this BP allows the user to set their own length and such, so they can control how it should be. :) Thanks for the input, this instance thing has been bugging me for a while.