Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WiP | Halo 3 Elite

null
Offline / Send Message
Adsros null
Hi all, I have been working on a project for my portfolio and I am at the point where I believe the high poly version is nearing complete and would like to gain some feedback on what areas could be improved upon as well as hopefully getting a few questions answered.

I have already noted to redo the chest piece and still need to add facial details but one question I do have is about adding a pattern to the body. Noisemaker seems distorts the areas that aren't facing the camera and I need it to wrap around the model equally. Is there a way to achieve this?

Thanks
Adam

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Those proportions are off.  It feels overall muddy.

You should fix the forms before continuing, and may need to scrap the armor even.

You're not close to done, but that does you mean there's so much more to accomplish and succeed at.

• BallistikBiskit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BallistikBiskit polycounter lvl 2
    I'm with Brian on this one, the proportions and stance need revisiting, the feet and lower legs look especially too small and make him look a bit off balance. 
    Take your time and get the major forms perfect before you move onto the details
    Otherwise the detail on the armour looks good, but i think it'd be worth your time to restart the body :)
    Kyle Hefley's Elite sculpt would be great reference, there's a couple shots without the armour: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/EYl54
  • Adsros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adsros null
    Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunatly I forgot to add the reference images being used.
    Today I have made a few adjustments to the armour and their scales (Unfinished). While I agree with  BallistikBiskit and Brian, my refernce images above are from a 2007 elite design so would it be reccommended to stick with that models anatomy/design or aim for a more modern design simlar to Kyle's Elite sculpt?

Here is a before and after shot of todays work.

Over the next few days I will be improving the body sections and will most likely begin a weekly update on the project.

Again, thank you for providing feedback.

Adam
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    Before you start adding armor and all that, I'd focus on getting the anatomy more accurate. For the most part the character designs stayed mostly similar I'd say it's their posture that's changed the most since the older games. The details aren't super important just the major muscular shapes. Then you can add a techsuit on top of that and then finally the armor hard surface pieces.
    Here's a photo that might help with that (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/WKX3D ):

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My previous critique applies only to the proportions and general forms of the character's "naked body."  
  • MrBFox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrBFox greentooth
    Id say its fine if you want  to stick with the Halo 3/Wars era Elite design, however even looking at the references youve shown, the limbs in particular are pretty dissproportionate from the rest of the sculpt, and like others have said, the base bodys general proportions/forms need to be established before doing armour.
  • Adsros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adsros null
    Okay so apologies for finally getting round to updating the thread but I have made a large number of changes and it would be great to get some additional feedback on where to improve. 

Some general areas of improvement I have noted:
    - Skin (Looks too smooth)
    - Face (needs details)
    - Nails/claws (Needs some)

Firstly, I completely revamped the model and started fresh but left the armour the same. I used body-builder reference images to fix the proportion issue previously critiqued.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arms should be higher and palms downwards. You're going to make a rigger sad.

Abdominal muscles are too tiny.  Need to be 100% bigger to be more believable.

Not sure what those line bumps are across the sternum.  It implies the skin is sretching over the pectoral muscles, but that would mean your A pose isn't a relaxed pose.  It doesn't make sense unless the skin is that taut aross the chest.

The clavicle bone is this straight line when it should be an S curve.

The deltoid muscle rounds off at the insertion point instead of looking like it inserts into the bottom of the upper arms.