Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Royal dwarf axe - handpainted

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Tomseas polycounter lvl 5
Hello polycount!
I have a week to finish a project for school which consists of making a handpainted weapon. I made a concept a while back and will be using it as a base while changing things, because looking at it now a lot feels out of place and over the top.

The idea is to make a somewhat clean ornamental weapon, not to be used in battle but rather to display the wealth and riches of the dwarf king.

Concept as of now:

Replies

• Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Lovely detail on the concept. Looking forward to seeing it be brought to life
  • Tomseas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    Current state of it. For the record, I don't consider it my own design. More like my own version of a Warhammer Online concept I found. Not a good idea to use other concept art as reference

Another day and a half on texturing before i have to hand it in. Thse two dwarven statues were a pain to do. My poly count is more than likely way too high to qualify for the assignment but I tried my best to optimize a lot of things.

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Very cool, especially the dwarves standing inside the handle.
    I prefer the ornaments on your concept and they could use a lot more depth for my taste, e.g the helmet should have the same shape as a real helmet, not flatten it.
  • Tomseas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Prime8 I tried having a rounder helmet but it made the weapon really wide and it looks so awkward. That being said I agree it looks too flat. I could've balanced the other parts better.

End result of the weapon. I think I shouldn't have added that saturation adjustment. Feels like too much, but since I had to upload it to sketchfab I had to try and balance the fact that your models looks darker on there. Should've saved more time to tinker with it. This is my second handpainted project so any tips are more than welcome.

• CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    It depends on how stylized you want to be but I feel like you could make the transition between the gold and the edges of the axe a bit more blended. Perhaps make a few discolourations on the metal so its not so flat.
    Looks nice and as others have said the small dwarves holding up the head of the axe are great :smile: