Home General Discussion

A question on filtering feedback.

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Caiterade polycounter lvl 3
So let me preface this by saying i'm on the opposite end of the spectrum - usually people always advise "Learn to take critiques and listen to them!". I've always been good about posting for feedback, i don't feel like i take feedback personally, the standard stuff. In a few of my recent projects i've noticed that my issue lies in defending my 'vision' of what my project needs to be. I'm pretty shaky in my artistic confidence so i end up just doing what everyone tells me then my project's trajectory gets all screwy.

For example - Say in my head i'm thinking of a dark gloomy transylvanian castle with spooky stuff all around. If someone steps in and tells me the to push the mood of dark vampire lair by adding lava or chains, and ends up suggesting things that push towards a Doom-styled notion of this mood with themes of Hell or demons. In my head, i'm trying to keep things to a Dark Souls feel.

This is an entirely fictitious scenario. I'm not making such a project. BUT.

We see that they're 50/50 - pushing the mood would be beneficial, but not quite in the way they wanted.  Do you catch my drift? The difficulty then lies in - okay. So they took time out of their day to give me feedback, they could have spent that on themselves. To me this is a huge favor coming from them. So to...not use what they said seems almost..rude? What's the etiquette for that? I feel like it hurts people's feelings when you ask for help then post updates that don't seem to utilize their feedback. 

In a situation such as this, would the appropriate thing to do would be to simply be straightforward? Tell them what parts of their feedback you choose to utilize or not? Not say anything? Perhaps i'm overthinking this. But tone online/written is very hard to read and my friends help me out pretty consistently and i would like to avoid making people feel like i've blown them off. I've not been in a studio setting yet so my only interactions with other artists is online in settings such as Polycount or Facebook.

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Being straightforward is fine. It's on the critique-giver themselves to not take things personally if you decide not to follow their suggestions. You aren't responsible for their feelings, though you might feel that it is the case. However, there is obviously a vast difference in how you word or present your response. "That's a stupid idea, why would I do that?" is a world away from "Hmm, I see what you mean and how that could do xyz, but for this project/piece/etc I'm really aiming for [other example]" - that kinda jazz. Tone online is a very difficult thing especially if you don't know the person you're speaking with, or if they are prone to taking things in a negative manner.

"Tell them what parts of their feedback you choose to utilize or not?" this is absolutely fine.  You likely don't want to discourage them from sharing advice or ideas in the future so thank them for their suggestion and boom diggity, back to arting.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    It sounds like you run into communication issues. I would recommend that you collect more reference and research to the vision that you want to achieve. Like from what you posted it seems the expectations of your peers is being lead astray unintentionally. Bridging that communication gap should totally help you get better critiques too.
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "I want to stay away from lava for reasons xyz, but your suggestion got me thinking so I added some mist and drippy water so thanks!"

You acknowledge their contribution and still go your own way with it.
    Yeah that seems like a smooth way to do it.

Mstankow said:
    It sounds like you run into communication issues. I would recommend that you collect more reference and research to the vision that you want to achieve. Like from what you posted it seems the expectations of your peers is being lead astray unintentionally. Bridging that communication gap should totally help you get better critiques too.
    That also is a fantastic point!  I'll certainly work on that. 
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    This is something I've been thinking about too, as a lot of the time I feel like I'm giving excuses as to why I'm not going to incorporate the suggested changes. You want to be confident in doing what you want; but you also worry that you're being arrogant by presuming to know better than everyone else. For example, someone gave me a suggestion to make my work look better, but I hadn't explained that I didn't want it to look better, I wanted it to look more realistic. And that was my bad because I felt like I was disregarding that critique and making excuses because I failed to explain what I was going for.

Not every critique is valid, regardless of who it is from. If the crit is something technical (it can be measured/tested) that deserves a response — if you're not going to make any change, you should be able to explain why not. If it's a subjective change like in your example, it's completely up to you. Does the suggested change make it better or merely different? You need to be open to other ideas being better than your own, but you don't want to sacrifice the fun of doing your own thing. That's just paid work without the pay.

As TeriyakiStyle points out it's good to acknowledge the crits even if you don't utilise them; sometimes I'll see threads with lots of crits and comments but no responses, which can be discouraging. Would I be wasting my time giving further crits? Really you should only be concerned if you find yourself ignoring valid crits and giving excuses, when really it's more about the amount of rework involved or whatever. Sometimes you need to call something done and move on. Just try to be aware if you're deceiving yourself to avoid fixing things. Otherwise don't worry about it, have fun, make cool stuff.

Oh and re: communication, that's a really good point because there are sometimes threads where crits get brushed aside when they're not relevant to the end goal, which might be obvious to the artist, but they didn't make that clear to begin with. Sometimes the people giving crits only looked at the pictures and ignored the words. The best you can do is say what you're going for and hope people read it.
  • o0Ampy0o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o0Ampy0o null
    I had an instructor who set himself up where he was obligated to devote significant time and attention to every student's work at critique time. The person who can pull this off without delving into the pot of BS in order to have something to say is rare if they have ever lived. After experiencing a couple of these critiques I no longer cared what he had to offer because I doubted he was able to be sincere about any of it. It is better to walk through the crowd and pick out a few examples to use as a topic of discussion rather than focus on the person and their accomplishments.

What does this have to do with your situation? Whether it is a group, a few individuals at random or a single person offering a critique, all you have to do is say without pretense, "Thank you, I appreciate your feedback." and leave it at that. Don't set yourself up to have to address anything specific. Give yourself the space to consider their input.

If they are way offtrack and you sense they might have something to offer after clarification then provide some clarification. Otherwise take advantage of an opportunity for people to describe how they feel about your work without destroying their naivete. They don't need to know your intent or the background details of the project. The things people perceive when they know the least about the project's objective reveal whether you have succeeded or failed up to that point.
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Caiterade said:

For example - Say in my head i'm thinking of a dark gloomy transylvanian castle with spooky stuff all around. If someone steps in and tells me the to push the mood of dark vampire lair by adding lava or chains, and ends up suggesting things that push towards a Doom-styled notion of this mood with themes of Hell or demons. In my head, i'm trying to keep things to a Dark Souls feel.
    Others have already touched on it here, but it's important separate feedback on the creative vs. the execution of any work.  Generally I'd advise newbies to work towards pretty tight concept art and style guides, if not realism, to remove the creative component and focus on execution. Your work tells me you're above that skill level and could / should definitely work on your own ideas / concept art if that's what you'd like to do. That said, you can still parse feedback into creative elements vs. aspects of the execution. Let's take your Darksiders Horse Concept as an example... 

*Comment A - I think the color pallet should use more warm tones and a saturated red to make it feel more evil -This is pretty subjective and you could respond as TeriyakiStyle suggested.

*Comment B - That saddle / harness setup wouldn't function well because reasons a, b, c... -This probably a more objective observation that you'd want to really consider incorporating into or revising in the design.

*Comment C -Horses are dumb and I hate them, make an armored elephant! -Totally subjective and could be ignored (but a polite response would be good etiquette I suppose).

*These aren't actual critiques I'd make, just some examples. I like purple, I have little knowledge of saddle/harness design and horses are alright (but maybe not as cool a elephants).
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Well, personally I approach receiving feedback like this:

1. I don't solicit proper feedback from just anyone, generally its only a select few people who are vastly more experienced and able. It's generally never my peers, usually someone further along whose work I respect. In fact 99% of the time its a couple of people I've closely developed with over the last decade. Basically, find someone who's great at what you want to do and gets your vision, and can help you get there. Randoms aren't going to help so much as send you down random paths.

2. We don't generally talk about what creative decisions I make so much as how well I executed what I tried to, and why I tried to do what I did.
    So I never really get things like 'why don't you add X' or 'try X colour pallette'. instead it's 'why did you do X' and 'why did you use the colours you did' and as a result, I'm able to investigate what I am failing at as soon as possible. Don't let people try to impose their creativity on yours, they should be helping you develop yours, and so they shouldn't really be steering you but rather questioning you so that you can stop trying random things, and start making confident decisions.

3. Regarding someone spending the time to give me a proper bit of feedback - I simply DO what they've suggested, but in a very small isolated test case so I can evaluate the suggestion without veering off course for a week (and actually get it done). It's a quick turnaround time and then we can discuss, and I've learned and tried something new, and they've got the respect of me actually trying what they suggest.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Caiterade said:
    So they took time out of their day to give me feedback, they could have spent that on themselves. To me this is a huge favor coming from them. So to...not use what they said seems almost..rude? What's the etiquette for that?
    It doesn't matter, let that burden go.

None of them will do the work alongside you. None of them have skin in the game. Your project is your own.

Act in your own interests. Take what critiques you find useful, let the rest go. Leave a "thanks" at most. Try to keep in contact with anyone who consistently gives valuable crits. Leave others behind 
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @bounchfx @Bek @o0Ampy0o @jStins @Chimp @Amsterdam Hilton Hotel

Really great replies and insight! I understand now that it really does just come down to communication, introspection and a bit of risk taking.

Except this one.
    jStins said:
    horses are alright (but maybe not as cool a elephants).

You take that shit back right now
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Others have communicated most of my thoughts - it's up to you to decide what you want to implement and what you don't.  Nobody should hold it against you for not taking their specific criticisms - some people might, and it might be a good idea to thank them for their time regardless, but it's ultimately your work and your decisions are what make it happen.  I've had artists of notable renown give me terrible advice.  I've had my wife, who is not an artist, give me fantastic feedback.

One thing to keep in mind, whether or not you implement someone's critique on a project, it's probably all at least worth considering. It might not be what you needed for your current project, but it might be very relevant to the next, or one three months from now.  It might be that someone gives you advice that really annoys you, or you can't quite wrap your head around until later on in your artistic career.

Some of the best critique I've ever received didn't wind up being valuable to me until quite a bit of time had passed.  Sometimes when I got it, it just annoyed me and I'd argue against it, other times it just made no sense and I couldn't reason why they'd think whatever it was they were advising.  ...but then months, or even years later, I'd encounter something and think back on what was said...and it would totally make sense.  And I found it very helpful.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Act in your own interests. Take what critiques you find useful, let the rest go. Leave a "thanks" ,...
    I reckon this is the attitude. Id be less inclined to be crusty with crits that dont side with your vision though. Indeed thank everyone for their input, even the stuff you dont agree with. With crits that go south from your concept, just explain why. I have found reactions to my wips to be invaluable, so posting a wip here really is worth it, also taking time to comment on the wips of others is a good practice. You get to give a little back.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caiterade said:
     Perhaps i'm overthinking this.
    Perhaps but you seem like a considerate person and that's a good thing.
    Caiterade said:
    ... i would like to avoid making people feel like i've blown them off. I've not been in a studio setting yet so my only interactions with other artists is online in settings such as Polycount or Facebook.
    Working in a studio is pretty similar, maybe there is more pressure to be nice and maintain decorum, because people are right in front of you and you can't just drop bombs and disappear. You can pick who shows up in your facebook feed but you can't pick who shows up to work, unless you have some leverage over the hiring process... even then it can be hard to shuffle the deck... 

Of course a lot of people don't want to be a raging jerk-ass, especially when they are new to a job, so they stay quite and things that should be said, sometimes aren't. That hurts the project and stunts growth, so don't be quite but do be polite and respectful.

How you give critique will help influence how you receive it. Working in a studio means you receive but you also give and working on giving helps you become better at receiving.

Know your audience and worry less about what they will think of you.
    Some people thrive with direct and blunt criticism, others might shy away or become combative. Can they handle a withering critique in a group setting or should you hit them up with your thoughts outside of that? Either way you should worry less about what people will think about you and worry more about how you can reach them in a way that they are likely to take action on it. 

Critique is like Halloween.
    When you ask for candy from strangers, you're going to get a lot of weird shit. You thank them all and move on. 
    Advice is freely tossed in anyone bag that is open, BUT not all advice holds the same value.
    Sometimes you get a coupon for dental floss, some times you get a full sized candy bar.
    It doesn't need to be consumed in one night. You can save it for later, pass it on to other people or just toss it out.
    Wait until you are off their poach before you toss it out.
    It can be smart to look over your candy and make sure it's not loaded full of poison.
    Some assholes run around TP'ing houses and smashing pumpkins, they really aren't part of the process.
    At some point you will be on the other side of the door, giving instead of receiving.