Home Unreal Engine

Realistic character teeth rendering/shading suggestions?

null
Offline / Send Message
kichma null
Hi, any ideas on how to approach rendering realistic teeth in ue4?

I tried making a subsurface material and skin material so that i can plug in a subsurface map that i made, but i get only white color pushing through in strong light conditions, but i think i actually want black color to push through in low light conditions.

Some of my ideas to solve this is to make a "iceberg shader" and somehow fake this in refraction, or utilize some sort of blured glass shader for the teeth refraction... 

Pic on the left, standard shader pic on the right what i would like to emulate. Teeth and tongue are in the same material.

Any ideas? i want to triple A this shit :)
kichma out!

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    You can do this with sss. Put a little bit of that color into the base color, and use it as sss color too Also set opacity to something high. Using an opacity map would also help. So you could make it scattering more on those thin areas, and less on the thicker areas.
  • kichma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kichma null
    Obscura, thank you for the reply, I will give SSS another go with your suggestion! I already tried sss and a "BW thickness map" but i no circumstances could get darker color to push through, only lighter color in strong light. If i put anything in diffuse then i'm committed to having it in all lighting conditions... for example when i close the teeth together it would still show.