Home Marmoset

Material ID Issues

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Rodimus polycounter lvl 7
Hello. Having a couple of issues with baking material IDs in Marmoset.

Firstly, there seems to be a difference between the preview in Marmoset (The magnifier button) and what actually comes out in my TGA file:
It's a bit confusing at times, since I cannot rely on the previewer in order to identify the correct color for a certain material.

Secondly, when re-baking material IDs after doing changes to the model, sometimes the color-material combos change and a certain color is suddenly referring to a different material (And I have to correct it in Quixel Suite etc ...). What is it that decides the color-material link i Marmoset? Is it the material order in the material list? Cause then I could make sure I populate the list with all the materials I use and also MIGHT use, but I am not sure how this is decided under the hood so it would be nice to get some clarification :)

Thanks!

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The material ID colors are automatically applied depending on the number of materials that you have applied to your highpoly. If you update your model and add additional materials, it will recalculate the colors to be as mathematically different as possible, which may result in some of the colors changing.

If you've updated the mesh but haven't added or removed any materials, this may be a bug.

If you want more control over this, you can set up albedo colors for your materials, and then bake an albedo map - this way you can define the exact colors instead of relying on the automated system.