Home Adobe Substance

Newbie question about substance designer/painter rendering discrepancy

mblanc
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
mblanc vertex
Hi, I'm trying for the first time to apply a custom substance designer material in substance painter. For some reason the material looks rather differently in the 3d view of painter in comparison to the sd viewer.

Any advise of what can I do to get the same result in sp?.

As far a I can see, the sd version looks way more glossy and the height map doesn't influences as it does in the sd view (both apps have the height intensity set in 3). 

?.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    First, make sure to alwayk keep the height force to 1 in Substance painter, this is a legacy shader setting and should not be modified :)
    If you want a parralax effect like the one in Designer, you need to activate it in the shader setting in Substance Painter (this is only available in Painter 2.6 and later), you'll be able to setup the parallax force there.
    Now for the difference in glossiness/roughness, make sure your outputs have the right usages set up. What outputs do you have in Designer and what channels do you have in Painter?

• mblanc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mblanc vertex
    Jerc said:
    First, make sure to alwayk keep the height force to 1 in Substance painter, this is a legacy shader setting and should not be modified :)
    If you want a parralax effect like the one in Designer, you need to activate it in the shader setting in Substance Painter (this is only available in Painter 2.6 and later), you'll be able to setup the parallax force there.
    Now for the difference in glossiness/roughness, make sure your outputs have the right usages set up. What outputs do you have in Designer and what channels do you have in Painter?

Hi Jeremie, thanks for your response. I think I got much similar results in term of roughness by setting the height to 1 in both apps. Unfortunately, I still don't get the parallax effect in sp, even though I enabled the Parallax Occlusion Mapping option.

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Ha yes, you'll need to add a displacemnet channel to your texture set and feed your height to it.
    In Painter the height channel is used to generate normal map data, so if you already have a normal output, you may want to simply rename your height output into a displacement one directly to avoid applying twice the same normal information and actually see parallax in Painter.
  • mblanc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mblanc vertex