Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lowpoly Mecha - Unit T-301 Vanguard (img heavy)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
SamiTarvainen polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys, it's been a while since my last post and haven't been very active, but here's what I've been working on. I would say I'm pretty happy and proud of how this turned out. At least for now, I tend to start disliking my works after a couple of days to a point where I just bin them.

Alright, some basic information about the model itself first. It has roughly about 45 thousand triangles and 2 textures. A non-overlapping 4k texture for the body and weapon. A 2k texture for the shield and blade (non-overlapping as well), which could be 1024 or even 512 because there isn't that much in it. Simple UVs and a timeline for the shield and blade to "assembly".

The materials I used were very simple. Just a base color, a bit of dirt and grunge added on top of it using SP's smart masks and a couple of my own masks. And to make the specular look a bit more dispersed I used a grunge smart mask for that as well.

I did the 3D modeling, rigging and animations in Blender and for texturing I used Substance Painter and a bit of Photoshop as well. The images were rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 3. Color correction and tweaking the emissive parts was done in Photoshop, because I found it difficult to control bloom and didn't get the results I was hoping for, so to save time I decided to tweak those in Photoshop instead.

So yeah, I think that's about it. Here's the goods and I hope you enjoy.

Without the any extra parts, just the hull basically.

And here's some making of shots.
Wireframe #1

Wireframe #2

Base mesh without normals and with SP's baked normals.

With normals and base colors.

Dirt/grunge added and reflections enabled.

Lighting and color correction.

Textures and materials. (albedo, normal, roughness, metallic and emissive)

Animation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSHYcJ-IqHk&feature=youtu.be

Sketchfab
model