Home Technical Talk

How do you UV dem shapes?

Anchang-Style
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
Hey everybody,

iam struggling a bit with the proper method of UVing certain shapes. Especially the top of a poly ring. Do you peel it into a stripe or keep it as a ring? The Ring doesn't have checkers follow the shape but a stripe causes massive stretching and distortion.
These are the 3 Objects i UVed for testing purposes:

I tried to unwrap the top of the tube in the first example as a stripe but it really turns into a bit of a mess.

So how to do this correctly? Keep the ring as a flat ring or turn it into a stripe or is there a way iam totally not aware of?

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Depends on the purpose. If you want to bake from highpoly, you probably want them as rings. If you use tiling textures and trim textures, maybe you need them as stripes, so the details follows the shape.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Ok, so if i bake the detail from a HP but then want to use substance stuff on it...or do the additional bakes substance painter needs take care of that (like curvature and so on). Because that's the purpose (not these shapes but similiar). Having a tube kind of shape but wanting to bake beveled edges and then throw mats on it.

Edit: i dont know why it took so long but i will just test all the version out and see for myself...sometimes info needs to sink in for a second^^.
    But yeah turns out laying rings out as a stripe makes for way better results in normal map (just beveled out all hard edges and bake em in Substance). That is if you make an object that has a pole, otherwise flat out ring will have a better result.

Yeah came to my own answer somewhat^^.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Also,  laying ring caps as stripes is usually more efficient when packing.