Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shure M67 Field Mixer game prop

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Lawrence Preston polycounter lvl 5
Need to start adding some prop stuff to my portfolio. With limited time, I'm hoping to be able to get through some game-ready props fairly quickly. This is a Shure M67 Field Mixer. I really love audio equipment, and some of the older stuff has a real cool to feel to it, with their analogue VU meters and over-sized nobs. So far, just working on the High Poly, with the intent to bring it through the full game production pipeline.

Modeling is in Maya, and will most likely do the bakes and texturing in Substance Painter. I may bring it into zbrush to add a good amount of wear and tear (dings and dents)

night one progress: got the case and front mostly done.

Replies

• Lawrence Preston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the back almost done. Need to add the power cord and a couple small details. With all these various sockets, I'm wondering how I should approach this for the low poly. They are pretty deep... and round... hmm...

• Lawrence Preston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update: Power cord

• Lawrence Preston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another small update. High poly is done. I did some lettering and noise in ZBrush. I may still do some dings and dents but I'm curious to see how the low poly and bakes are going to come out before I venture down that route,
  • Lawrence Preston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chugging along with the low poly, and some bakes in Substance Painter

• Lawrence Preston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    getting some textures on here, with Substance Painter. The end is near, WootwOOt!

• Lawrence Preston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I realized that I went pretty far with this in an unoptimezed state... derp, had to redo the UV's and bakes, and make room on the texture sheet for the cord. Luckily, Substance is so freaking user-friendly, that doing a million-and a half test bakes and re-texturing it 20 time wasn't all that bad (: Decided to dress up the bland casing with some band stickers, but having trouble making them look like real stickers... Def almost done.

Any worn sticker workflow suggestions? I'm open, Cheers!

• Lawrence Preston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished, learned a lot about texturing, many things that I'm not happy with, but the Substance Painter file became so big that it became really cumbersome to experiment. A side note, but great learning experience is working with the cord. I didn't put a whole lot of care into how I presented it, just a little bit. In the end, it plagued me to no end, making it really hard to make nice compositions for presentation. Probably the biggest downfall of this project for me. Another thing is relying too much on one render for tweaking and optimizing textures. I had a hard time getting the textures to look as good in Marmoset as they did in Substance Painter,as there are differences, especially in the way shadows are handled. This, along with the awkward position of the power chord led to an overall underwhelming Marmoset viewer presentation which I was most excited about from the begining. Oh well, lessons learned, but really wanted to rap this up before I outright hated it.

you can check it out with other renders and Marmoset Viewer on my Artstation at: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Lv6ZR

Cheers!

• Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    Hi Lawrence,

You probably already know this but thought I'd make sure you had your reflections in marmoset set to GGX and to double check your albedo and roughness weren't set to sRGB (or maybe it's the other way around, can't remember right now). I think this is a solid model but definitely could be presented stronger. I'm curious as to what was making your substance painter so large.
  • Lawrence Preston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Deforges,

yeah, the colorspaces are correct. It's the albedo that should be sRGB, the rest are linear. As far as what was making my substance painter file so large, just a ton of layers and masks.