Home Technical Talk

[3ds Max] Biped Euler Curve Issues

Bjak18
null
Offline / Send Message
Bjak18 null

Hi all,
Im trying to practice more with animating a biped rig over a custom rig, and Im running into an issue with this rig where I am getting weird curves in the workbench. I am not fond of TCB on Quaternion and prefer tangent handles, so I switched the rig to Euler, and on the hand and feet bones, I am getting very weird position curves in both curve editor and workbench. I have not seen this issue before on bipeds, and I am not able to edit the position curves to adjust my animations. I am working in 3dsMax 2017.

http://imgur.com/XI48RS7

Thanks, any help is appreciated

Replies

• spacefrog
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 14
    AFAIK the euler tangent handles are just  fake one - i think at the core the biped controllers still uses TCB. So you will see strange issues when using euler curves to manipulate biped keys. I simply would switch back to TCB and only use the euler mode if it's absolutely necessary. And i would prepare myself for future problems if i keep using the euler interpolation..

There are other possibilities for your problem too: depends whether you use planted/moving or free keys on your biped's hand
  • Bjak18
    Offline / Send Message
    Bjak18 null
    Thats what Ive been thinking. Ive been trying to practice with TCB, its just hard to visualize the curves like Im used to in Maya with tangent handles. 
    A lot of forums Ive searched through recommend BipedKeyer script to help set presets on the keys and adjust from there,  but I cant seem to get the script working in 2017.
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I made a tool a long time ago. I used it recently, but just PM me if you have trouble with it.

Download from here: http://polycount.com/discussion/45311/maxscript-biped-tangent-tool

• spacefrog
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 14
    Bjak18 said:
    Thats what Ive been thinking. Ive been trying to practice with TCB, its just hard to visualize the curves like Im used to in Maya with tangent handles. 
    A lot of forums Ive searched through recommend BipedKeyer script to help set presets on the keys and adjust from there,  but I cant seem to get the script working in 2017.
    I tested BipedKeyer on Max 2017 here, and it seems to work. But i guess i fixed it some time ago and don't remember. Or there are problems and i'm not aware of them ( not sure i did biped until now in Max 2017)
    Anyways - Juans tool looks more accessible as BipedKeyer might look overwhelming at first

• Bjak18
    Offline / Send Message
    Bjak18 null
    monster said:
    I made a tool a long time ago. I used it recently, but just PM me if you have trouble with it.

Download from here: http://polycount.com/discussion/45311/maxscript-biped-tangent-tool

This is awesome man, Ill definitely look into this, ill let you know if there are any issues.
    spacefrog said:
    I tested BipedKeyer on Max 2017 here, and it seems to work. But i guess i fixed it some time ago and don't remember. Or there are problems and i'm not aware of them ( not sure i did biped until now in Max 2017)
    Anyways - Juans tool looks more accessible as BipedKeyer might look overwhelming at first

I think what my issue was is that it kept giving me errors about bitmaps not being found. I can only assume the buttons that were supposed to show in the BipedKeyer werent loading properly. Maybe the download I had for it was broken, cause the original download link on its scriptspot page was bad, so someone in the comments had it instead.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help, excited to keep practicing this

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I thought biped introduced quaternion interpolation?  Although I haven't used biped in years. :)

Edit: sorry, just reread your first post.