Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Learning to draw buildings and perspective with Asian Architecture

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
SgtBabbit greentooth
Hi All!!
It's been an absolute age since I've posted anything. I've been a working 3D environment artist for about 2 years now. My 2D skills however, have always leaned towards characters and portraits. I want to start building a concept artist portfolio, and felt it was time to tackle architecture and perspective in 2D. I have definitely found that my skills in 3D are helping here but I have a long way to go with my painting skills and I'm slowly wrapping my head around creating perspective. 
I'm really inspired by Japanese and Chinese buildings. The colours, the shapes, the symmetry. I always feel a need to give my pieces a purpose, so I think I'll keep in mind my final concept should be a 'tea room'. This project will take me through the pipeline from learning, to practicing and honing drawing in perspective, as well as feeling comfortable gathering resources, brainstorming and thumbnail-ing. I intend to take this project all the way through to one final coloured concept which I may or may not also 3D model. 

All critique and advice would be helpful and appreciated!!

Replies

• SgtBabbit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SgtBabbit greentooth
    I began in my sketchbook because that's where I feel most comfortable when it comes to 2D (I DESPERATELY need a new graphics tablet)

• SgtBabbit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SgtBabbit greentooth
    Staying in the sketchbook I tried to brainstorm some ideas using the shapes and styles that I'd seen recurring in the resources I'd collected. I took these into photoshop just to shade them a little. At this point I wasn't super defining the Tea Room idea, I was just draw-vomiting shapes and what could maybe work and what wouldn't (ie, i probably won't go for a 4 story building, I'd want a Tea Room to feel more intimate than that)

• SgtBabbit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SgtBabbit greentooth
    During the thumbnail process I was really drawn to the circular doors.They felt a bit odd, different and eyecatching. Maybe I could pair it with a trellis type wall so that light could fill the room. i also really liked the double roof, it looked strong and interesting. Again I worked in my sketchbook and then painted it in Photoshop for a little dimension

I feel like this design is too busy, I'd like it to feel more peaceful and safe, maybe give it solid walls. I like the double height but it looks more military than recreational and/or spiritual. I'm thinking this is because of the sharp corners and the pennant flag. Maybe try something softer, rounder. It was definitely hard to keep the perspective right on this, all the small straight details and the round doors. Might need to study the underside construction of these roofs more
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SgtBabbit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SgtBabbit greentooth
    cool study work!  In the latest piece I'd suggest backing off from the subject more - at the moment its cramping into every edge of the frame.  Also placing some scale references like chair, tables would really help.
    Great advice!! I see what you mean with it cramping up the frame. I'll keep that in mind for the next try :smile: 
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg Westphal polycounter lvl 9
    The biggest difference in any sort of cultural architecture is the differing degree of technology and building material.  One of the special things about eastern asian construction in particular is their lack of suitable stone/abundance of great woods really drives the framing elements of a building and the rice paper instead of glass dictates the overhang of the roofs.  The closest european counterparts are the vikings who were also skilled woodscraftsmen and didn't use glass/ceramics so also had large overhangs on roofs (to keep the water from touching the windows.)  One of the best things you could do is study, from ground up, how they would go about constructing these buildings and you'll find that the proportions of the beams are important for reducing the stress caused by such massive roofs.  The roofs were probably comparable to the weight of european roofs but without the use of the arch via bricks and stone, the stress lines required much lower ceilings, far more pillars and interesting work around exceptionally above door height to load bear.  All of what can be viewed as decoration to our eye almost always had at least roots in structural significance. 

Usually when I sketch I always have documentaries on and maybe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3at1K-SzCk would be a great place to start.