Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character: Karolina - Semi Realism in UE4

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
DennisKurzeja polycounter lvl 2
Hello Everyone!
First time posting. Here is my attempt at implementing a full character into Unreal. I challenged myself to create a stylized child character to see how I can do soft faces. I spend a lot time on this and I would like to know if it was worth it.

Concept
Karolina is the daughter of a Jewish family in Warsaw 1939. She is the player character for a theoretical game where you have to survive in Warsaw during German occupation.

I would like to get critique if this semi-realistic look is working out or if its drifting into uncanny hell. I would like to know where I can improve and what could be better.

Replies

• Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really good, I like the current level of stylization. Also, the material definition is very nice - are the eye and skinshaders the unreal standard or did you create some if your own? (If yes, would you mind sharing your setup for this?)

• DennisKurzeja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
     Hi Shyralon. Thanks for the feedback. I copied the shader setup for the eyes and skin of that boy character from Epic's kite demo. I only added some parameters for tweaking the brightness and used different colors in the sub surface profile.
  • rafregidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rafregidor vertex
    turned out really great :)
    I am also planning to render my character in unreal.
    Any tips or possible pitfalls I can expect when moving my mesh from say 3dsmax to unreal (things like how to keep scale, unbroken uvs etc)
    Thanks!
  • DennisKurzeja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks Rafregidor!

The only thing I can mention is to import the smoothing groups and normal tangent information from your fbx file. There is a dropdown menu in the import window and usually it is set to generate new tagents. This will mess up your normal map.

Also Epic made a realistic character rendering demo that you can check out.