Home Technical Talk

Question on baking two normal maps for a single model

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
RashedAlmetrami polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys,

I'm currently baking out my normal maps for a project of mine using substance painter. I wanted to keep a texel density of 10.24/cm so that I could have a high resolution across the mesh when rendered close-up. 

The issue is that to do this I had to separate the main body of my tank to two 4096x4096 textures but I think this is causing an issue in my normal map?

Seam using two 4096x4096 textures on one 

I took the same model and arranged it into one texture which fixes the issue but leaves me at 4pixels/cm which doesn't look too good. 
No Seam:

UV's

How do I fix this? I'm kind of at a stump :/ 

Any help is much appreciated 

Replies

• NoRank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    Did you install de substance 2.5.1? if you're using the 2.5 it had a problem with the average normals not working. 

Ofc I'm assuming you're baking it without a cage so this kind of thing is expected without the average normals on.
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @NoRank I'm still using 2.4 Ill update to 2.5 and give it a shot, thanks!
  • NoRank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    @NoRank I'm still using 2.4 Ill update to 2.5 and give it a shot, thanks!
    Well in 2.4 it shouldn't be happening actually, is the average normals box ticked on your bake settings?
    Just bear in mind that average normals can produce some skewing in some of your details, if that is happening than there are some other stuff that you can do to avoid that, there is plenty of info here on polycount and on the internet about ways to avoid skewing.
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just updated and it's still happening unfortunately
  • NoRank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    I'm clueless then, as far as I know this kind of seams only appears if you're using different SGs and baking with a non averaged bake without using a cage. I don't know why this issue go away using one texture, this shouldn't be happening but I might be wrong and missing something here.

I hope someone who has another idea can solve your problem --'.