The Secret Renaissance of the 21st Century

Replies

• low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    low odor said:
    http://www.leonardoda-vinci.org/the-complete-works.html

I dunno, this Da Vinci cat has a pretty good portfolio of finished work. I'd hire him

BTW That's actually cloth, that he starched up, and created a cast. He never hand-sculpted it.

That was Italian Renaissance Marvelous Designer.

This piece is actually a painting called:  Garment study for a seated figure      

Brush and grey distemper on grey canvas is the medium..
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Leonardo_da_vinci,_Garment_study_for_a_seated_figure.jpg

I never knew that about the renaissance cloth sculpts though..cool trick 
  • aaronindhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronindhouse polycounter lvl 9
    Wow well there are certainly a lot of diverse opinions about this.  Thanks for all the responses guys.  I think the subject is very fascinating.  

When I think of game art, or art done for movies too, When you consider it inside the entire product, it loses is value somewhat.  If you create an incredibly detailed and well done sculpt of nathan drake, the ability to appreciate the sculptural achievements of that piece are diminished when its being viewed inside the game.  

If you were able to put that same sculpt of nathan drake, posed, life sized, and on a pedestal inside of an art gallery, it would look incredible.  The amount of detail we can achieve today, the amount of technical ability artists have today is unprecedented.  When we look at the best sculpts the industry has to offer and consider them in that gallery context as posed single pieces, they would blow away anything done by masters before.

The digital art movement is definitely going unnoticed by the world around it because most people don't even know anything about how the the cg they see in a movie is made, or the characters they see in a game came to life.

As far as the masters creating art and being free to do what they wanted, I think this argument isn't all that good.  Many of the masters before were beholden to people who commissioned the work, like the church and wealthy nobles and patrons.