Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Botanist's Temple - WIP - Darksiders Fan art

ThomHeaj
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ThomHeaj polycounter lvl 5

Hi everyone,

I've been working on this scene for the last couple of weeks now, and I'd like some feedbacks.

I wanted a scene in the Darksiders art style (mood & architecture) to add an environment on my portfolio. 
So I decided to go for the Makers as my main inspi for the architecture but also Warcraft/Blizzard art style and Avatar for the foliage, color and Mood.
I wanted to push my zbrush skills further , so everything in the scene is sculpt based. (I did not use ZB for almost 2 years  :p )
I learned tiling textures with ZB and foliage, and this is my very first project with unreal engine 4.

So I opened this thread to show my Wip's, but mainly to have critiques.  :)

Todo list :

Props :
- 2 jars models
- Woodbox 
- Liana/creeper/hanging plants
- The "crown" of the temple
- 2 rocks models
- A bench
-Ornaments/ heroes assets ( still no idea) -> Sunwell

Polish :
- Lightmap
- Postprocess ( I've already have a lut and a scene tint, but i'm not 100% happy atm )
- Decals
- Textures and FX tweaking
(Optimizing )

Replies

• ThomHeaj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, back to work after a few mounths !

So I made a few changes in the scene itself.
    I added a kind of "sunwell" and the jars, and finally put a texture on those rocks. The crystals are still wip though, I'm not happy at all about that, and lightmaps are still on the way.

I'll be glad to hear some feedback to improve the quality of my scene, thank you !
    Maybe tweak/remove the marble? I'd like to know your thought, any ideas are good to hear :)
     Wip "Top trim"

And here are some progress

• ThomHeaj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still in progress, I've done a few things, like the top trim of my temple.
    For a readability purpose, I removed the shapes in the background (it was mainly floating rocks and chains), and I made my own skybox, pretty happy with the result :) .
    Still a bit to do though, a kind of ivy/roots plant, and I want to change the marble and the crystals ASAP. I'll try to make a texture for the ceiling.

Progress : 

• nastobi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    man, this is looking really nice. The foliage are really well done and blends nicely with your style. Also btw, how did you do the jar ornament engravings ? I'm still learning and I'd love to know your process on it. :)

Goodluck man ! 
  • ThomHeaj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @nastobi123 Hi ! :smile: Glad to have someone to speak with :p
    I created a base model in max to use in ZB. For the runes, I used my alphas (I created a bench of them based on the darksiders universe), and to archieve this bevel feeling, I use the inner glow in precise mode.
    For the other kind of ornaments, I used the radial symmetry a lot with alpha in ZB.

Thanks for the comment btw, greatly appreciated !

• Feashrind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Feashrind polycounter lvl 5
    I love the Darksiders series and this just looks amazing.
  • Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benvox2 polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome sculpts dude! Can not wait to see this one come together.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice! Looking forward to seeing more!
  • ThomHeaj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Feashrind Thanks a lot mate, can't wait to have my hands on the 3rd now :), I'm a huge fan too.

@Benvox2 Wow thank you! I saw your incredible Darksouls 3 months ago, well done ! What's your approach for the broken parts? unique pieces? And How about a tiling piece? I wanted to have some broken trims to remove this tiling feel.

@Tobbo  Thanks for your comment :)

If you have any suggestions to improve the scene or whatever, feel free to share your thoughts :smile:

I won't have a lot of time in the coming days/weeks, but I'd like to finish as soon as possible. So today I reworked the crystal and the marble, and created some lightmaps. I still think the marble need more love(I created some cracks).

• Benvox2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Benvox2 polycounter lvl 10
    @ThomHeaj Thank you! That is a great idea. I would create some geo bricks that match your textures and use them for the edges of the broken parts. Yes, create unique (reusable if possible) using your clean ones as a base to save time. 
  • GravityBwlast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GravityBwlast interpolator
    Glad to see this progress!
    Nice sculpts. :)
  • ThomHeaj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Benvox2  Thanks for your help.

@GravityBwlast Thx for your kind words mate.
    Small update time to cleanup some textures/meshes and give final tweaks here & there .

• Tetranome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tetranome polycounter lvl 6
    @ThomHeaj

Hey! You still working on this? Feed us an update ;D
  • ThomHeaj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tetranome
    Hey, this project is not dead, but in "sleep mode " :smile:
    I got a job a few months ago, and had to move to that country you know, so less time to work :) . But yeah probably won't work a LOT on this. I'll post my fx and last update I did before leaving my country. :)