Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old Tailor Shop Environment

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
radumitroi polycounter lvl 6

Latest image:

Recently I decided to start working on a new environment. I have an old tailor shop in mind. I'm aiming for an abandoned, but not destroyed look. A place that's still intact, but empty for the last couple of years. Also, I want to have this classy/victorian style. Gathering reference images has been pretty annoying, it was hard finding images that resemble what I had in mind.

I'll show you some models I've made so far.
I started by making the modular pieces.

Here's a simple test of a corridor with a single point light, made just so I see how those pieces work together.

And a couple of props I've made:

I'm thinking about changing the floor with a darker and shinier wood texture. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Replies

• SimãoSilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimãoSilva polycounter lvl 8
    Dam! the wallpaper material and the ground material look really good ! :D
    Are the raised areas of the wallpaper a decal ? if not could you explain how did you make them ?
    keep up the good work ^_^
  • radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are the raised areas of the wallpaper a decal ? if not could you explain how did you make them ?
    I've made the details of those wood panels at the bottom at the wall in zbrush, while I was in there I just quickly sculpted those raised parts. I also have a damaged version, the damages were also sculpted in zbrush.

Some other angles:

Ignore those edges that don't match, It has been solved.
  • SimãoSilva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimãoSilva polycounter lvl 8
    Looks great ! keep it up ! ^^
    Can't wait to see more :3
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    I've made the details of those wood panels at the bottom at the wall in zbrush, while I was in there I just quickly sculpted those raised parts. I also have a damaged version, the damages were also sculpted in zbrush.

Some other angles:

Ignore those edges that don't match, It has been solved.
    How did you fix the edges? Did you just make them the same material or just snap the Uvs to make them tile? Tried to do something similar a while ago and had that issue.

You have a weird triangle artifact in the top of your door frame. Also I think the height map might be a bit too extreme in sections.

Lookin awesome though so far. Keen to see the end.
  • radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How did you fix the edges? Did you just make them the same material or just snap the Uvs to make them tile? Tried to do something similar a while ago and had that issue.

You have a weird triangle artifact in the top of your door frame. Also I think the height map might be a bit too extreme in sections.

Lookin awesome though so far. Keen to see the end.

I've been playing with the UVs until I've got the tiling right
  • radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    Hey there. Nice atmosphere and very good textures. Couple of things that i would tweak:

- The paintings are too perfectly aligned. You could sort them in a way that some of them are higher than the other/falling to one side etc.;
    - Those central tables could use some more disorganization as well, since you want the abandoned feel;
    - Personal opinion: i would tone down just a little the chromatic aberration (but if you are going for a filmic/Resident Evil 7 feel, it's good);
    - This whole area highligted next -- at least from this specific angle -- is too dark, to a point where all these elements merge togheter (i couldn't tell what they are until i saw those close up shots). Maybe if you add a small spotlight there it could help with readability;

- In my opinion, the chandelier could really use some more lights... It is as easy as just cloning/rotating four more of them :)
    - Cobwebs are a nice touch.

This guy was kind and talked about how he approched the creation of some cobwebs for his scene: http://polycount.com/discussion/158093/ue4-abandoned-georgian-room-scene#latest
    - Some rubble on the floor/crumpled papers etc. could really help to sell the abandoned feel. 

Overall, very good job. Good luck on completing it!
  • radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo said:
    Hey there. Nice atmosphere and very good textures. Couple of things that i would tweak:

- The paintings are too perfectly aligned. You could sort them in a way that some of them are higher than the other/falling to one side etc.;
    - Those central tables could use some more disorganization as well, since you want the abandoned feel;
    - Personal opinion: i would tone down just a little the chromatic aberration (but if you are going for a filmic/Resident Evil 7 feel, it's good);
    - This whole area highligted next -- at least from this specific angle -- is too dark, to a point where all these elements merge togheter (i couldn't tell what they are until i saw those close up shots). Maybe if you add a small spotlight there it could help with readability;

- In my opinion, the chandelier could really use some more lights... It is as easy as just cloning/rotating four more of them :)
    - Cobwebs are a nice touch.

This guy was kind and talked about how he approched the creation of some cobwebs for his scene: http://polycount.com/discussion/158093/ue4-abandoned-georgian-room-scene#latest
    - Some rubble on the floor/crumpled papers etc. could really help to sell the abandoned feel. 

Overall, very good job. Good luck on completing it!
    Thanks for your advice. I agree with you on the scene being too organised, I'll work on that.
    Some of those areas look too dark because of the Eye adaptation. In that last image I was sitting in the brightest part of the room, so everything was being darkened. Perhaps turn up the minimum value the exposure can get?
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    Hey buddy, i'm glad that i could help in someway. I heard people disabling the eye adaptation completely... So that's something to consider. Maybe someone with more in depth knowledge about Unreal Engine than me can help you more substantiously.
  • radumitroi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo said:
    Hey buddy, i'm glad that i could help in someway. I heard people disabling the eye adaptation completely... So that's something to consider. Maybe someone with more in depth knowledge about Unreal Engine than me can help you more substantiously.

I'm working in Unity 5, actually
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    Hm... Unity? What is that? lol

So nice to see great visuals in Unity! Well, the only person that i saw mentioning that he was working with Unity was @Eric Chadwick. But of course he is not the only one. Maybe by bumping this thread somebody else can see it and try to help. 

In my opinion eye adaptation is great in a gameplay scenario, or if you make a video of a camera flying around your environment. For static screenshots it's detrimental and raises some issues, like those dark spots.   
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    I always disable auto exposure, but it's easy in UE4. I also feel your main area is a little too cramped? There doesn't seem like a whole lot of room to move around. Your textures are really nice!