Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Binary Detective

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
ImsumDave polycounter lvl 11
Hey hey. I'm revisiting a character which I've revisited once before, but did not go beyond a bust. My intention is to create a full real-time character. My first revisit was initially spurred on by future-fiction's Aigis (persona 3 fanart) character, so there are similarities, some deliberate and some not.

With that out of the way, here is my starting point:

Replies

• ImsumDave
    Offline / Send Message
    I've completed the low poly modeling for the majority of the character. Current poly (triangle) count is 84k. I will be redoing the high poly for both the badge and coat later, and so no low poly for those yet. The UVW unwrap of individial parts is done and they just need to be packed. I'm planning to separating both the badge and coat into their own texture sets.

• ImsumDave
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished up (hopefully) the UVW unwrap and baked my normal map and color/material IDs in Marmoset Toolbag 3. Baking setup went smoothly and gave good results. In the past I've used xNormals almost exclusively, however I think I will use MT3 going forward.

The normal map is currently very big, at 8k, in order get decently smooth results. I usually keep texel density equal throughout an entire mesh, but with this I am breaking that rule. Currently, the inner "shell" body pieces have very low texel density compared to the rest of the mesh. I may go back and further optimize things if I'm not happy with how things look at 4k.

LP with base materials/textures