Home Career & Education

Starting from the buttom

ZateFeto
null
Offline / Send Message
ZateFeto null
So i finished studying Graphic design and i am stepping in the 3D world, I didn't really study 3D software but what i can do is 2D design and art on programs like photoshop.

I'm currently studying a blender course and a unity course.

So i'm seeking your advice here from the guys who have strong background in game design fields like (character modeling/environmental artists/old and new weapon artists/etc)

What programs should i learn, what skills should i focus on and what to do so i can design a game with a fellow friend artist of mine.

Replies

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    if it's a hobbyist game project, then 2D will reduce project scope a lot compared to 3D! Otherwise it's about specialization. Doing everything yourself is only feasibly for very small scale projects (indie, experimental, low-end mobile, very stylized).

On a very basic level (let's say your goal is to make a 3D game like "The Real Texas") you need to make models (Blender, Max, Maya, etc)., texture them (Photoshop) (diffuse only), animate them and import them into the engine (Unity).

Now you may not like the quality you get out of this, so you can enhance it all by e.g. adding Normal Maps to your texture workflow (ZBrush, Modbox, 3D Coat). You can also use tools like the Quixel Suite and Substance Painter to enhance textures. With more complex models you will have to rig them (Max or Maya) and create bone rigs. Finally, you want to develop some shaders and materials. At his point we're talking about a serious amount of work that may be challenging for a 2 - 3 people team to do as part time job.

If you just want to get your hands dirty at trying to create a game, I would first focus on 2D. This allows you to explore the process in a simpler manner than when using 3D.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Alot of polycounters start from the buttocks.

If your learning 3d just start following basic modelling tutorials. If you want to make games download Unity or Unreal Engine and start following the thousands of tutorials available in their communities or on youtube.
  • ZateFeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZateFeto null
    Kwramm said:
    At his point we're talking about a serious amount of work that may be challenging for a 2 - 3 people team to do as part time job.
    Challenging as in time required or experience required?
  • ZateFeto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZateFeto null
    fearian said:
    Alot of polycounters start from the buttocks.

If your learning 3d just start following basic modelling tutorials. If you want to make games download Unity or Unreal Engine and start following the thousands of tutorials available in their communities or on youtube.
    That is excluding the programming coding to get game mechanics / features ?