Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spyro, assets and level design Progress thread

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
elros37 polycounter lvl 4
Hi everyone !

i have as project to create an inspired level of the summer forest from Spyro: Ripto's Rage
I make this project in order to  improve my techniques and to learn Unreal engine. So any comment critics and advises are welcome.

Here is my actual progress :

Spyro :

This is my lowpoly spyro model, i am actually unwraping it. Later i'll add some details with sculpt and baking.

Sparx :

Containers :

I'think that i'll make these asset brekables but i actually don't know how :D

Gems :

Yeah spyro without gems is not spyro so here are my gems models.

Replies

• elros37
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    double post, this post is obselete
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    That's a really cool project, I love the games!
    The lowpoly of spyro looks really nice and clean, can't wait to see how it will look textured!
    Only thing I noticed is that I remember him having these..twisted? horns, might be cool to add a little more detail there.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    @ShyralonI I have worked on a couple of the skylanders games, and Spyro's design has changed from game to game, especially compared to the older ones, so it might match pretty well with the one he is working from. Here is an example:

• elros37
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

@Shyralon I accentued the horns twist a litle to match the Original model (below)

Today i unwraped my model and started to create my textures :

texture :

I used zbrush to create a high poly model and baked it in Substance painter.
    Then i textured the body, i may have made an error in separating the mesh in two : Body and BodyDetails.

UV :

I separated the UV in two : Body and Details, i didn't overlay my UV because later i may add damage to the texture or other things.

• McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could pack those UVs more, there is a lot of empty wasted space, that could be used to improve the texture density. You might also get into some problems with some of the islands being too close to each another, that you could get some bleeding over, especially with normalmaps that could show up as seams.
    I just noticed, are you unwrapping your highpoly model? You should use your highpoly model to bake down a normalmap for your lowpoly that is unwrapped.
  • elros37
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed said:
    You could pack those UVs more, there is a lot of empty wasted space, that could be used to improve the texture density. You might also get into some problems with some of the islands being too close to each another, that you could get some bleeding over, especially with normalmaps that could show up as seams.
    I just noticed, are you unwrapping your highpoly model? You should use your highpoly model to bake down a normalmap for your lowpoly that is unwrapped.
    Normaly i unwrapped my low poly but maybe i had my subdivision modifier applied, i'll restart over :)
    so i need to put all my UV in one and generate IDs for my different parts ?
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't make characters, however I know that some who do has the head as a separated texture, since it has a lot of details, but I'm not sure if that is nessesary for this model, so you might make do with just one sheet. It would also keep the texture density consistent.
    Something you could also consider is to use overlapping uvs for left/right parts, freeing up more space.
  • elros37
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i thought of this but i have as plane to make runes pop on his body, and i don't wnat them symetrical.
  • elros37
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So after looking my UV and mesh i realised that i forgot to turn of my subdivision modifier, that resulted in an Subdivided UV.

I corrected it, regrouped my UVs in one and made parts overlap

• elros37
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, here is my progress, i need to texture my eyes and nails, but for the moment i'll start rigging skinning and animating in order to have a base character for unreal.

Feel free to comment, suggest and give advises.

• elros37
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi , here is my current progress.
    I made two aimation cycles :
    a walk cycle and an Idle cycle