Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] New York City Alley

PixelGalleries
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
PixelGalleries polycounter lvl 2
Hello.

I am currently creating a scene inspired by some NYC alleys, though I won't post a lot because of school, however I would love to get some critique. All models are optimized for games and baked in x-normal. It's not finnished but that is no excuse to not upload it and get critique. So don't hold back and give me all you've got. 

Here's my progress:

And here are some of my references:

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Are you going to put garbage cans/dumpster, and garbage on the streets? That'd be cool! Good work so far!
  • kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 9
    Looks pretty solid so far.  Looking forward for the progress.
  • Vollgaser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vollgaser polycounter lvl 7
    looks not even like you took a marketplace pack and threw it together. horrible! use matching modular assets and give variations.
  • PixelGalleries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis
    Yes I'm going to add that in the future.

@Vollgaser
    Could you be more specific on how it doesn't match, and examples of variations?
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    @Vollgaser - that's an awesome way to give critique mate!  Keep at it... jeesh...

@PixelGalleries - solid start.  I'd say, you need some visible separation between the building, right now you're going from one texture variation to the next, but it doesn't work too well.  hide the sharp transition with a neutral color pillar or something like that.  it'll also add some more shape breakup in the long continuous lines you have going.
    also few more window modules where the blinds are at different opening state would be cool
    looking forward for more :]
  • PixelGalleries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tzur_H
    Thank you! You're right, I need to work on breaking the repetition as well to make the environment less flat and more interesting.
  • PixelGalleries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have not been able to work quite as much as I wanted, but I figured I would post an update anyway. Mostly what's changed from before is lighting, staging, snow/slush on the street and emmission maps on some windows. Next I am going to work on the fire escape ladders and roof borders rim things (example in second image).

• Stiff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stiff vertex
    Your work looks really great at the moment, the wet effect on the ground is really good, I just think that there is not enough depth is the left brick wall. Maybe add a little more height on the material will be better. Wait to see more, I think i could be a very cool scene.
  • PixelGalleries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Stiff Thank you! Also, I increased the contrast on the normal map on the wall you mentioned :)

Been a while since last time but I'll just keep working on this scene till it looks better I guess. Main things to add now is random junk on the street and graffiti and grunge decals. Just keep the critiqe going :smiley:

• Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    Nice work, the props make the scene feel much more alive :)

When I first looked at this bit I felt like it was hard to tell what was going on, kind of like an optical illusion

might just be me though :D 
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    Very lovely work so far, I think the one issue that's sticking out the most for me right now is the inconsistency of the bricks and their scale factor in conjunction with everything else... for example the screenshot posted just above this post... the size of those bricks in relation to the door is pretty off and then the comparison with the red bricks to the duller brown darker bricks don't share scale sizes either.

Other than that, really digging this :) keep up the good work
  • PixelGalleries
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Doxturtle Thank you, yeah all these perfect 90 degree angles and borders will be fixed

@Kid.in.the.Dark You're right, never actually noticed the difference in brick scale.

So I have reached a point where I don't actually know what to do to make it look better, because it's obvioulsy not very realistic, but that's where you guys will help me (hopefully) :smile: