Home Technical Talk

Texture frank not working?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
Recently downloaded texture frank and it displays this message everytime I try to start it up:

TextureFrank.exe has stopped working. I am using Windows 10. I am wondering if anyone uses this app for texturing purposes on Windows 10 and it works.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I had win10, I'd try running the exe under different compatibility modes and see what works.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried them all. Used Troubleshoot compatibility. Not working.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Appears this isn't compatible anymore. Will have to uninstall.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I'm a little curious about what exactly the benefit of using it would be. Especially with things like Marmoset and UE4 floating around, and even Maya having a PBR shader built in (not sure about Max though). Is there a specific reason for wanting to use it?
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's for previewing textures especially tiled textures. So I work on my textures in photoshop, so if I need to check to see if the tiling looks bad, I can make adjustments where needed. It's just a quick way to do this rather than setting up a material in a 3d app. Sometimes, u might be preparing a couple of textures, so it comes handy but there are other tools that can do this anyway.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    If working in PS why not use the trusty old offset filter to check tiling? :)
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Offset filter offsets the texture, doesn't tile the texure. I am referring to tiling a texture like 17 times in both X and Y axis. In otherwords, repeat the texture. This way, you can spot certain details, that immediately give the tiling a repeated look. Texture frank would have been cool for this as tiling the texture increases texture resolution but there are other apps that handle this
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    You can do that in marmoset at will, very quickly. If you load in your textures on to a plane, it would do exactly the same as this program, only it will look better. At least in Marmoset 3, there's a tiling option. You could also simply scale up the UVs in Max or Maya before bringing the plane into Marmoset. Or have a scene with a few planes, all with different levels of tiling/
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's why I decided to uninstall it. Marmoset is a cool program but I don't think it is used by archviz guys much. There are other 3d apps than can handle this. Texture frank just seemed like a quick app to do this, rather than open a 3d app, set up a plane mesh, add a material and texture and tile accordingly. I have now set up a 3d small scene with a sphere, a plane and materials, so I can plug in the textures and tile them and check. The scene file will be used for that purpose when needed. 
    Thanks a lot, guys :)
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    melviso said:
    Offset filter offsets the texture, doesn't tile the texure. I am referring to tiling a texture like 17 times in both X and Y axis. In otherwords, repeat the texture. This way, you can spot certain details, that immediately give the tiling a repeated look. Texture frank would have been cool for this as tiling the texture increases texture resolution but there are other apps that handle this
    Oh, if that's what you wanted then there are loads of simple ways to do it. As has now been established. :) Megascans Studio is also a very quick way to set this up.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestion, musahidan. The small scene setup is okay. It fits my requirements nicely :)
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For anyone who is into texturing, if you are looking for a tool to paint textures you are going to tile and want to preview how the tiles will look as you paint, Krita has an awesome seamless painting feature:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcNT3pDAyEE
    And its free :)