This is a joke, like all other Adobe products
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    nikola3d said:
    Not sure if serious.

At any rate, this looks like a fun little app, akin to sculptris. Doesn't seem to be very fully formed, though it's hard to tell from one short video.
    Probably geared more towards hobbyists wanting to play than towards professionals or serious artists.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    If Adobe plans to make a real product out of this, based on that clip all I can say is they have a long ways to go.
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    When I saw that , I was like "It's too late adobe"
    If Adobe plans to make a real product out of this, based on that clip all I can say is they have a long ways to go.
    exactly
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "This is just an early look at what we're tinkering on in our labs." -Adobe

It's early, but it's about 10 years behind even the low end competition. It's worth keeping an eye on but not worth getting excited about, yet.

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    nikola3d said:
    Pretty sure Adobe has a few industry standard products . . .
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Speaking of, did you see the new emoji engine in Photoshop now?
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    Nope , link ?
  • nikola3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nikola3d polycounter lvl 4
    @slipsius Sure, Photoshop and Illustrator are both amazing softwares, but rest are having so much bugs, lack of speed and efficiency, and alot of crashing. I mean, compare Premiere, After Effects with Nuke, Houdini. In my opinion Adobe it's just a company who will throw you anything up the nose just to sell you, same as Autodesk. There's no love and commitment to products such the Foundry, Allegorithmic etc.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    nikola3d said:
    @slipsius Sure, Photoshop and Illustrator are both amazing softwares, but rest are having so much bugs, lack of speed and efficiency, and alot of crashing. I mean, compare Premiere, After Effects with Nuke, Houdini. In my opinion Adobe it's just a company who will throw you anything up the nose just to sell you, same as Autodesk. There's no love and commitment to products such the Foundry, Allegorithmic etc.

I'd like to agree but at the same time it occurs to me that It's pretty damn hard to continue to innovate with and change, or indeed bug-fix a 25 year old package, it's just too big and too much is depended upon both by other parts of the application, and by teams using it who don't want to see entire workflows change over night, or in house tools that depend on specific options - forcing people to stay on old versions and fragment the user base. It's better that most of us are up to date even if we only get small increments of change and are left a little wanting.
    Photoshop has too much baggage, its a hard thing to deal with, i think. 

I think in Adobe's case they have instead spawned a lot of new, experimental 'labs' style projects and products that seem to focus on finding and experimenting with innovative technologies rather than complete products. It's not intended for use in production, i think its probably more likely to be intended to find the next package that we don't know we want yet, and or produce technologies they can license to other developers to work with.

Surely you can't complain that they're looking into it? Adobe might bring things to the table that Pixologic end up doing better, and vice versa, these things cross over, evolve and contribute to change. Competition should be encouraged, because frankly Pixologic are beginning to suffer from the same problem. Zbrush, i think, has a frankly abysmal interface, workflow and conventions. it's got hang-overs from years ago that nobody even make use of any more, but get in the way of work, and weird things that arent intuitive. We all learn them because its our job to learn them, and we love zbrush overall, so its alright, but at the same time it could do with wiping the table clean and rethinking.

I almost invariably see newbies minds freeze when it comes to learning the fundamentals of zbrush workflow (people who know 3d, or hell, traditional sculpting and not computer illiterate) because it is an awkward, made up thing. They didnt know what Zbrush would become and it just happened organically. Personally, I think it could do with a complete overhaul - I hoped Core might be just that - a limited but new package with an entirely revised way of working - i.e a proper 3d viewport, unified and inter-compatible toolsets, a good API for plugins, nuke the bloody 2.5d stuff that 1 person cares about - focus in. etc, that would slowly grow alongside zbrush, with studios jumping over to it in time before it slowly replaces - but it never happened.

Anyway that's an aside, this isnt about ZB but I thought I'd communicate some thoughts of mine and see what people think.
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    @Chimp ho Zbrush, I often say to myself  " dude don't take Zbrush for granted " Zbrush is unique both technologically and ergonomically , It's algorithm pure beauty , the Creasing workflow, Zremesher, Dynamesh, Decimation to name a few . If it wasn't for Zbrush to exist I don't know how ArtStation would look like now lol
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Yeah, I definitely don't take it for granted :)
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO said:
    Nope , link ?
    https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html#OpenTypeSVGfonts
    It's one of those "I had no idea people want or use this" sort of feature. It's just a weird contrast to see dopey hipster things like this introduced while critical issues get ignored and introduced with each version.

I also like what I'm seeing from their lab experiments however. The Skylit demo doesn't really showcase what I found to be most interesting; there's some machine learning magic going on to repeat textures in a smart way.
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth

I also like what I'm seeing from their lab experiments however. The Skylit demo doesn't really showcase what I found to be most interesting; there's some machine learning magic going on to repeat textures in a smart way.

I can imagine this technology average the values and true material from the material swatch drawn by the User , and that's really cool + Peele is here lol

• Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    That looks awful. Even the guy in the video was just creating mush.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    favorite part was 19 seconds in when he was trying to sculpt while it was rotating
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO said:

I can imagine this technology average the values and true material from the material swatch drawn by the User , and that's really cool + Peele is here lol

look at this backdrop though. Assuming it's not totally faked for the demo, it seems to have replicated the linework into a new pattern.

• Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    If you're interested in that sort of thing, may I suggest Károly Zsolnai-Fehér's Youtube channel: Two Minute Papers
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    @throttlekitty yep , that's huge
    @Chimp cool videos around   will check it out