Home Technical Talk

Best point to start on making a house with a fully rendered interior?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
SummonedSpirit polycounter lvl 2
Hey Polycount,

i'm currently modelling a house based on the concept exterior and interior's I've sketched out. Turns out the rooms don't fit the shape of the house as much as I thought it would and scaling it up and down made it look off. Would you guys suggest starting with all interiors first before creating an exterior? I know most of the vids I watch seem to start from outside but its starting to get pretty difficult to accomodate

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    This is pretty much why you should always start by blocking your scene out before you start doing any detail at all, that way the scene is laid out and you know how it all goes together and you can solve any major issues long before they become an incredibly time consuming problem to work around.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
     I'd also advise creating a 2D plan view of the layout(either draw it to scale on paper or use a free CAD program) to use as your template. This will give you a huge headstart and just like Atticus says about a blockout above, it will save a lot of time as you won't be wasting it as you've invested little when you plan smart.

With a wall plan you don't have to decide "will I start from the inside or the outside...?" They are one and the same.

Also, if you've no experience in construction or knowledge of basic generic dimensions of things like ceiling height/door frame width/door handle heights/etc then do some research. Just like with any project: gather your refs, research your subject, find out all the info you need to avoid guesswork. Grab a measuring tape and measure some shit!! :)

Another great way to see how the scale/dimensions are functioning at the blockout stage is to throw it into Unreal Engine and walk around it. :) Even if you've no experience in UE, it's free, and you could learn what you need to know for what you're doing in a few hours.

• EliasWick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
    This could be interesting for you to watch. Evermotion talk on Architectual Design. It doesn't go into detail but you could always learn something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ-2g10TJSE