Home Technical Talk

Understanding texture channels between substance painter and Marmoset

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Apheleion vertex
Hello all i have a question regarding texture channels i am pretty confused on what the differences between them are. I do understand the difference between different textures like normal, AO, height and Albedo but where i get lost is the different channels and setting in marmoset so you can turn off the RGB filtering for the different texture maps and you an change what channel they are on like channel R, G, B, and A. Any and all help is appreciated

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    So the specific channel options are mostly for texture packing. Lets say you are using Substance Painter with the UE4 export option for the textures. 

Here's how the textures need to be setup

Texture
    Colorspace
    Material Channel
    Base ColorsRGBBase Color
    NormalNormal (Linear)Normal
    OcclusionRoughnessMetallic (Blue Channel)LinearMetallic
    OcclusionRoughnessMetallic (Green Channel)LinearRoughess
    OcclusionRoughnessMetallic (Red Channel)LinearAmbient Occlusion

Different export options are going to have different naming schemes and texture packing options. But generally with PBR and most game engines Base Color (or albedo) is going to be sRGB, and pretty much everything else is linear. 
  • Apheleion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apheleion vertex
    Wow that is really interesting does Unreal engine 4 follow this setup that you posted, and by the way thank you very much for the rapid post, i tend to struggle a little on the technical side of things.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    All physically based Renderers follow the above, both real-time and offline. Linear workflow is quite an in-depth topic but there are plenty of resources available these days to get your head around it.