Home Technical Talk

Rigging Feedback

null
Offline / Send Message
hannah_b null
Hi everybody,, 

I've done a that i'm hoping is ok for games and would like some feedback, 

I know theres some niggly issues I need to fix/redo. - fingers & hair skinning, eyebrow skinning i think needs smoothing.. 
I've only just done the hair and need to go back and refine
if I've got time i would like to redo the foot-roll as to get it to work properly you have to select two controllers which isnt ideal, 

Main problem I'd love help with is the chest area, aka, boobs. I wanted to give them some extra control but just havnt been able to get it to work nicely so if anybody has any comments on that i would greatly appreciate.  

model creds to Lee Devonald, who was kind enough to let me have a go at doing this :)

-excuse the rough video edit

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    The boobs seem fine. What extra control were you after? The hair seems okay too.

The fingers are probably the thing you should fix first. Maybe the bone placement is off.

The elbows look they are loosing a little volume, maybe trying being a little more rigid and use less weight blending.

Looks ready though. Is it all one hierarchy?
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Looks like it'll work for games. Biggest thing that's problematic for me are the fingers. seems like there's just one controller per finger, with an attribute to roll the fingers? Many people prefer individual metacarpal and phalange controls, so 4 controls for each finger, 3 for thumb.  are the legs  and arms IK only? lot of people like FK, specially on the arms. A way to match FK and IK rigs is great to have, makes  switching between FK/IK much easier. I think it's safe to set the pauldron to the same control as clavicle. boob controls looks alright to me, some may prefer an extra control that moves both, like how eyes are generally set up.
  • hannah_b
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hannah_b null
     Well just when the torso moves I feel the boobs deform a little funny, although i guess they can be fixed back into a better position with the controls. 

Yes it has FK and IK arms, with an IK skeleton that switches to have some FK control, and only IK legs. 
    You are right its the finger bones and their placement I just need to redo them. I'll get on it now.
     I too prefer multiple controls for fingers rather than attributes, I was following a games rigging tutorial and thats how he had done it so I just went with the flow, i'll change that too. 

The bind skeleton is all in one hierarchy so I think it should be okay for games (from what I understood) 

Thanks alot for the feedback it's nice to know it looks to be on the right track! 
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Lots of nice details but you haven't shown any major movement and deformation, lets have a look at her doing various normal animations (runs, leaps) and we'll have a good idea how she actually deforms outside of individual bones moving 10%

Nice so far though
  • hannah_b
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hannah_b null
    Thanks for the feedback, that's the next stage now, I've given it to the guy who modeled and he is going to pose her and so I'll see if shes working or not, I had a look at mixamo which I know somebody suggested to get some mocap data but I couldnt understand how to get it working?? Im heading back to uni tomorrow so I'll be able to access the facilities there to maybe get some animations on her. 
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Well done Hannah, this is a really impressive rig, keep it up.
  • adeptussteve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice character, yeah Id also be asking for a more appropriate deformation demo. Wiggling ik controls a bit doesnt really show us the full range of motion. What about hip/upper leg area on high steps, how does the skirt keep up, shoulders on extreme arm positions, head turns, what does neck and hair do, knees on full bend, etc. etc. etc.
    As for boobs, I got you covered, check this thread out: http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2506458/#Comment_2506458  Might be a bit over the top, but ay you never know, (I use that setup ingame and it works really well)

I notice the eyelids close kind of wired, is that a single joint doing those?