Home Technical Talk

MAXScript Scripted Objects Crash Course

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Swordslayer interpolator
I've decided to follow up the call for MAXScript tutorials with setting up a patreon account where I'll start putting together a guide for intermediate MAXScripters from the bits and pieces of my know-how.

I see very few people creating scripted primitives or modifiers, yet they are really useful and fun to work with, and are also perfect for vector and matrix math practice with realtime feedback - and not hard to grasp. Let's change that,

Preliminary TOC:

Vector Basics
    - you won't need much, we're not making a game
Matrix Math for Dummies
    - it's simpler than you thought
Explaining the TriMesh
    - edges come in threes
Parameters and UI by Example
    - you might be surprised what you can store there
What Are All the Handlers for
    - hell, I only use a few
Create Tool
    - and its pitfalls
Ready-made Function Module
    - puting MCG to shame
Putting it All Together
    - let's have some fun!

When finished, it'll be free for everyone - it's more because I'm motivated in the process when I see there's a commited audience. Until then, it will all be accessible for patrons on patreon. I will start adding stuff starting next week.

Replies

• nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like I'm signing up for patron! 
  • Swordslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    nyx702 said:
    Looks like I'm signing up for patron! 
    Great! Started adding some content; dot product, cross product and their practical applications will be coming soon.
    If you ever feel I've skipped something, the explanation doesn't really clear anything up or have a question, go ahead and comment there :)

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    So any word on this project? Patreon account seems to be closed?
  • Swordslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    Yeah, sorry about that. In the drafts released on patreon, I've only got to the end of the first chapter (vectors, from zero to dot product and cross product) and got halfway into the public article. Without any feedback at all, it was harder than I thought to keep going. I only got one snarky reaction in my inbox (guess any monetization attempt whatsoever brings that about, but feels bad when you don't expect that anyways), and I called it quits. 

I might release that first article later today. On the upside, releasing it without any profit in mind gives me the freedom to use any tools I like when making it.

Edit: here it is: Vector Primer
    The vector addition and vector subtraction frames take some time to load, some patience is needed but then you can grab the handles and play for a while:

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Yea I figured it might have gone like that. Most of the people I see around that use Maxscript these days have been doing so for many years, very few newcomers willing to put in the effort to learn it (let alone pay for training). Python can be used in used by almost everything these days, so finding people interested in training for a proprietary language is going to be an uphill battle by default. However, even though I've never tried Python in Max, I'm under the impression it's still not a complete substitute for Maxscript (unlike in Maya).

Anyhow, I personally was most interested in the math portion, as that's something which can be beneficial to know no matter what language you're using. I've only scratched the surface of what Maxscript can do though, so If you do decide to push forward with the project in the future, I'd love to read over it. :)

Edit: Thanks for the vector portion! I know basic vector math, but since I'm self taught there is almost certainly a few pointers I'll be able to pick up from this. Will go over it later today.