Sketchbook: Kyle Field

A WIP in ZBrush for a Holiday Nutcracker.

Comments/Critique are welcome and appreciated.

Replies

  • ArkOfDarkness

    Completed High Poly model of a Motorcycle (While my primary area of focus is on Characters, it never hurts to diversify the portfolio if at all possible).

    Technical Breakdown:
    Time Spent - 10 to 12 Hours
    Polycount: 114,054 Tris
    Software Used - Only Maya (for now)

    Next Up, Building the Low Poly Mesh, UV'ing, Map Baking, and Texturing. (Still trying to decide between a Hand-Painted/Stylized aesthetic, or a full PBR approach)

    Comments/Feedback/Critiques are always welcome.
  • ArkOfDarkness

    Completely forgot to post this back when I finished it in March (Shame on me).

    I dabble in Concept Art in my downtime (that is, when I'm not working on other 3D projects in my downtime). Pretty sure it's not at "Professional Studio" quality, but I haven't really been planning on being a Concept Artist anyways (The sweet siren song of the Character Artist position is just too alluring).

    Again, Critiques/Comments/Feedback are always welcome and appreciated.
  • ArkOfDarkness
    Finally completed the building and UV'ing of the motorcycle model, and finished baking out the Normal Maps.
    As far as specs go, the LowPoly is about 18,300 Tris, and currently uses 2 normal maps:
    a 1024x1024 for the Engine, Exhaust, and Support Bars,
    and a 2048x2048 for the Wheels, Body, Seat, Mirrors, Handlebar Components, and Dashboard 
    (I'd originally hoped to keep it at 1024x1024, but there just wasn't enough resolution for everything, even with mirroring almost all of the topology)

    So far, I'm feeling pretty pleased with the results (just a quick screenshot of the LowPoly with Wireframe and Normals applied).

    Motorcycle: Support Structure Normal Map with Wireframe Overlay (1024 x 1024)

    Motorcycle: Body Normal Map with Wireframe Overlay (2048 x 2048)

    I suppose from here, it's off into Substance Painter to cook up the next batch of maps.

    As always, comments/critique/feedback are welcome and appreciated.
  • ArkOfDarkness
    I'm taking a small breather from the ongoing Motorcycle project (Ambient Occlusion Maps are all baked out).
    I figured I'd do something a little smaller as a quick Prop Study.



    Time Spent: 4.5 Hours.
    Poly Count: 120 Tris
    Texture Maps: 1024 x 1024 Normal, Diffuse, and Specular Maps.
    Software Used: Maya LT, Marmoset 3.

    I will probably never NOT end with this, but Comments/Critique/Feedback are always welcome.
  • ArkOfDarkness
    model
    I absolutely adore weapon modeling. It's always so much fun.

    Time Spent: 6-8 Hours
    Polycount: 1352 Tris
    Texture Maps: 1024 x 1024 Diffuse and Emissive Maps
    Software Used: Maya LT, Photoshop, Substance Painter 2

    A bit of process explanation:
    I wanted to create something a bit more along the lines of a hand-painted/anime-esque aesthetic, but I also wanted to experiment a bit with incorporating Substance Painter into my workflow. In the end, I found myself with a full set of PBR Maps for the model, which I incorporated together into a single Diffuse Map. (The Emissive Map is basically unchanged from the original export, barring a slight brightness tweak)

    As always, Comments/Critique/Feedback are always welcome.
  • ArkOfDarkness

    Alright, I think I can finally call this motorcycle done. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, especially now that I have a decent working knowledge of how to use Marmoset and Substance Painter.

    Total Time Estimate: 50 Hours
    Polycount: 17,648 Tris
    Texture Maps: 2 Sets
    (2048 x 2048 for the Main Body:
    Diffuse, Roughness, Metalness, Normal Map
    1024 x 1024 for the Engine/Supporting Structure:
    Diffuse, Roughness, Metalness, Normal Map)

    Modeled in Maya,
    Textured in Substance Painter 2 and Photoshop,
    Rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 3




    model

    Now that that's done with, I'm hoping to start getting churning out some character models to upload.

    Comments/Critiques/Feedback are always welcome.
  • ArkOfDarkness
    "Thicket": Blunderbuss Weapon Model

    Another game-ready model, fresh out the oven!

    Total Time Estimate: 10 - 12 Hours
    Polycount: 3,468 Tris
    Software Used: Maya LT, Photoshop, Substance Painter 2, Marmoset Toolbag 3

    I'm trying to build up my portfolio with the hopes of taking on some freelance/contract work (so seriously, any comments/critique/feedback would be of huge help - I want to be able to make quality assets that people can get excited over).

    This particular piece is a weapon for a personal project of mine as well (specifically, the concept for an animated series, with a whole pitch document and everything), that I've been fleshing out over the past few years. (It's also one of like 8 or 9 different story concepts I've got going on in my head, so it's downright painful when choosing which ones to work on first).

    The basic criteria was that it needed to be:
    1) Be a Blunderbuss (because shotguns are cool, so proto-shotguns must be proto-cool)
    2) It needed to be worn, scratched, and weathered (a gun with visible history, basically)
    3) It needed to be economical and durable, in-universe, and be a reflection of the person who would use it (The front hinge reinforces the barrel for extra strength, and also allows the barrel to swing up for rear-loading instead of traditional front-loading, which is very time-consuming. The flintlock mechanisms are also fairly simple/basic, so that it would be cheap to produce spare parts, and be easier to fix/repair when needed. Overall, a sturdy, no-frills workhorse that gets the job done)


    model

    As always (this part will never change), Critiques/Comments/Feedback are always welcome.
Sign In or Register to comment.