Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

DOTA Ward Wake-up Animation

Rondog
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Rondog polycounter lvl 3
Hi Polycounters,

I was hoping some of you would be kind enough to provide feedback on this character's animation I'm working on. It's in stepped mode for now. The result I'm aiming for is a wake-up animation. Is it successful getting that across or no?

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/121686#133733

Any feedback is appreciated, so thank you!

Replies

• PatrickCommen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickCommen polycounter lvl 6
    Hello Rondog! 

I think you have a very good start here, a very steady base to work on. I don´t play dota myself so I don´t know the original character animations but just remember to rotate some bones in more than one axis just to make it more real. Also try to keep in mind gravity too. Keep up the good work.  

Best regards
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    It may be a little bit slow when you get to splines , and if the idea is to be a ward placement you should definitely speed it up so the player can see the animation when its placed :)
  • Rondog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rondog polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks for the feedback you two! I realize now I should've made a note of it somewhere. I didn't intend for this to be an in-game animation. I just liked the character, and wanted to try and see what I could create with the unusual setup of an eyeball and chained 'wings'. So in this case, it's more of a cinematic piece, rather than functional game animation.

@PatrickCommen you're right. That straightening up tendency snuck in again!

@Arturow you're right as well. I'll be sure to re-time things when I get into the spline phase.