Home Technical Talk

How hard is to go from Maya to Cinema4D?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
Hi,

So I need to make the switch from Maya which I've been using for years over to C4D which I've never touched. Just wondering if anyone has made the transition and how was it?

I know if you know one, you can pick up another pretty quickly but how is the program compared to Maya? Can it do everything Maya can?

Cheers.

Replies

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Considering how easy to use c4d is...

Not hard at all

To answer your other question

sure it can do everything maya can do
    just not as fast*

*your experience may vary 
  • Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    Well, going from C4d to Maya was/is kinda hard, i am still a stranger in Maya-land.  The other way should be easy.
    And no, i don't think Cinema4d can do everything Maya can, even pumped full with plugins, it can barely touch Maya in terms of functionality and ability.
    But it is easy, fast and very stable.

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    C4D was my first package because it was so ridiculously easy to learn. In a studio environment with automation it will totally lose out against Maya, and likely Max too. But for single artists, such as freelancers or students, it is quite powerful. I like that it's quite logical in how it works and less intimidating than Maya (when you're new to 3D).

I made the switch to Maya at version 8 or so because the C4D bones system sucked at that time. I'm still attached to it and try to follow its development as best as possible, but I'm not using it any more.
    It used to be a great starter package, indeed very solid, and aggressively priced because you could buy individual modules.

C4D's traditional strengths were pre-rendered content, lighting, rendering, modeling. Weaknesses: rigging, integration with pipelines, real-time. This may have changed though.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    should be pretty easy but you might want to change the UI

One of C4Ds biggest strenghts is the interface, its 100% customizable and very well built and you should profit from that

For modeling I made a palette which has all the important features in sight and with that it should be a breeze to get around

I didnt update in the last year and there are some new features like the modeling pen and the changed cutting tools and stuff but there is all the core http://www.flowfiregames.com/modelingpal  There is also a 3DS style control sheme included but you can make yours like maya. 

With shift + F12 (Customize Commands) you can find any action in the whole program in a list and drag it straight in your UI too.
    You can also change any command and bind anything to be like maya. If only more software were like this. 

• Natnie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Natnie triangle
    Hmm, I went the opposite direction. I still prefer C4D due to its stability...
    For modelling and animation, I think you'll find most of the same tools. Just google the Maya name for it and Cinema 4D to find out the C4D version of a tool you can't find.
    There is a lot more that's intuitive about C4D compared to Maya, so I think you shouldn't have too much trouble.
  • f1ey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f1ey polycounter lvl 7
    Houdini better becouse its future of modeling and VFX and animation but need some time for learn and adapt soft for your workflow
     if you need fast modeling tool still softimage, simply Rigging softimage, softimage still can to everything
    But softimage dead!
    so I highly recommended check Houdini for more experience and softimage