Home Unreal Engine

Missing contact Shadows between Objects UE4

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
PatTl92 polycounter lvl 6

Got some problems with missing shadows between my objects. As an example i got a screenshot here.

As you can see between the desk and the headphone, or that file basket, is no shadow.

I use the LightStage from the Advanced Lighting Scene and some spotlight lamps from the ceiling to light the scene.
Tried to tweak ambient occlusion in the post process volume, but without success.
Also tried the contact shadow option in the spotlights, but i always has a lot of artifacts.

Hope you can help me with that, really like to finish the project :)

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    You are showing the SSAO pass. Thats just one part of the shadows. If you want to see the actual direct/indirect lighting, look at the detailed lighting more. For Getting the SSAO closer to contacts, you can decrease the spread of it in the post process/ao settings. You can also Play with its power. For increasing shadow quality, you could increase lightmap res, or use higher world settings/lightmass settings. Stuff that would potentially increase lighting quality from the lightmass settings under the world settings:

- Decrease static lighting level scale to a much smaller value - heavily increases build time
    - Increase amount of bounces - only the first bounce really increases the rendering time
    - Increase indirect lighting quality - heavily increases build time

Other thing that could change the distance of the shadows from its casters, is the shadow bias setting in your light.
  • PatTl92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatTl92 polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you Obscura,
    it mainly was the shadow bias.
    :)