Home Technical Talk

Blender for modular environments, how to get the Simple Deform modifier to align to the grid?

AtticusMars
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
AtticusMars greentooth
I'm trying to create a 90º bend for a modular environment set and my first instinct was to use the SimpleDeform modifier, my problem is that it doesn't properly line up with the grid which is obviously a problem.

On the left here I've shown my result with the Simple Deform modifier bent to 90 degrees, on the right is the desired result. I got the right result by simply building a 90 degree corner (already snapped to the grid) and making a bevel that covered the entire corner. It worked, but it is obviously this only works on extremely simple meshes that I can put a full bevel on.

Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to go about bending an object to properly align with the grid?

Replies

• kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    I've never really had an easy time working with the bend modifier in blender - it's always produced wierd results, or I've had to do a wierd process to get it to start working how i wanted it to work.

One nice way of getting a good 90 degree bend, is to add a Bezier Circle, add a curve modifier to the object you want to bend, and set it to the axis.

Of course, for this to work nicely, the origin, and edge of your bending object needs to essentially be in the centre of the circle.

Not as quick as just bending it, but it's a bit more accurate, and you can scale the curve to the correct size, drop it into the correct location easily, etc.

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Alternatively you can use the spin operation
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    @kaptainkernals I ran into a different problem with this which is that there doesn't appear to be any way to fit the mesh to your curve and so I'm just left eyeballing it while I try to scale it. Then I have to go back afterward and snap all the connecting vertices to the right locations. It works though so I appreciate the suggestion, just wish there wasn't so much cleanup.

Also annoyingly when using the curve the only way to bend it around the Z axis is to select -Y (like your screenshot) which inverts the mesh. I like blender but holy shit working with anything that requires adjusting mesh orientation is a pain in the ass...

@fdfxd2 I don't think this will do what I need, this is more like a lathe function isn't it? I need to bend an existing object
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With the curve modifier, if the origins, and the position of the mesh is correct in the beginning, it should fit the mesh to the curve nicely, you may need to do a little scaling. But as you say, it's not perfect, and there is still clean up and adjustment afterwards. All of the other modifiers I've tried just now don't give the desired result unfortunately.
  • nickw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickw polycounter lvl 6
    its easy to miss but to fit the mesh to a curve you have to check stretch and bounds-clamp in the curve properties
    left is with stretch right is the same but without stretch
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    It works, thank you @nickw !

Now all I need to do is fight blenders transforms =___=
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats super Nickw, definitely going to save that one to my ref folder