Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alien Villain (who kinda looks like an evil manatee)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
MoostifurArt polycounter lvl 5

Second time making a character with zbrush and maya.  I've been learning 3d for almost a year now and I think I'm starting to get the hang of the process, but I still have a ton to learn.  Here are some screengrabs and shitty camera shots (sorry about those) of the process.  I would love to hear any feedback.

Just the initial body sculpt.  Wanted to go for a fat but muscular look (ala Kingpin).  Arms started out a little small in this shot but I later inflated and define

Replies

• MoostifurArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    https://www.artstation.com/embed/3951188
    Just uploaded the Marmoset viewer file to artstation.  Does anyone know how to properly embed it?  I tried the embed code but it didn't display anything.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately you can't embed Marmoset on Polycount (yet). It's on hold until we fix a few things. In the meantime you can embed Sketchfab if you like.
  • DGB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DGB polycounter lvl 7
    I, for one, welcome our new manatee overlord!

But seriously, nice job! The color choices look good and the metal pauldrons turned out very well. The one major critique I have is that the skin and especially lips still have that soft, un-sculpted look and could have used a little more detail work - just something to keep in mind for future models. Can't wait to see more of your stuff!

• MoostifurArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DGB said:
    I, for one, welcome our new manatee overlord!

But seriously, nice job! The color choices look good and the metal pauldrons turned out very well. The one major critique I have is that the skin and especially lips still have that soft, un-sculpted look and could have used a little more detail work - just something to keep in mind for future models. Can't wait to see more of your stuff!

Thanks for the feedback!  I totally agree with you.  I did kind of struggle with the lips.  Now I realize I probably could have used the pinch brush around the ridge of portions of the lips to define them better.  Also from this model I learned that I should probably exaggerate the alpha detail in the skin a bit more because it tends to get toned down in the normal map bake. 
  • Travis C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Travis C polycounter lvl 8
    perhaps you could add in redness and some inflamation on the skin that is around the hardsurface lifesupport thingy