Unity_[WIP] Aelys of Edge of Eternity , Gunner character

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Kiyamlol polycounter lvl 12
Update:

Current body wip so far..

Hi!

This is my current character wip at work. I am building a gunner gal for our game in unity. Its heavily JRPG inspired and would like to get that level of quality to shine. Here is my current block out/ anatomy and rough concept at the moment.

Are you happy with the initial design? Does the anatomy look weird? I am trying to go for an FF inspired look.

This is a character piece I am working on for our indie JRPG Edge Of Eternity: https://www.facebook.com/EoeGame/

Replies

• Kiyamlol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Concept:

Getting some gaudy jewellery into the style, some heavily inspired by medieval and indian jewellery.

Decals are overlayed..

Another concept sketch, she will have a long rifle but its not finalized yet:

Some jewellery inspiration:

I want to get some beaded like jewels on the bra. I will first try to make some decals before I get started on this.
  • Kiyamlol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again,

I wasn;t able to get much critique outside work so I went ahead and progressed it on my own 

I think her proportions are okay? All extra details will be painted in substance.
    Have to retop her now.

• Kiyamlol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Test renders in Unity 5 engine using Alloy shaders. I am pretty pleased with the results I think. Still think needs minor tweaks here and there... I want her skin to show off more detail but it cant seem to get any sharper. Or does it look fine like this? I am not so sure.
  • Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    Fantastic stuff! Interesting seeing how different the style of this game is from the initial Kickstarter pitch.
  • Fazijinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fazijinn polycounter lvl 10
    Great work so far! Really loving the character development so far!
    I don't know if its just me (like probably personal taste) But I feel as though you should widen the hips a little like around the obliques just to give her some shape.  For me it feels to squarish at the moment. There's game characters that are similar to this character build like for example you have lightning from final fantasy 13. She has a skinny body but around the hips they widen it same with Vanille too. I also feel as though the collar bones are abit too strong, I softened out the middle part above the necklace and tightened up the cleavage a little because its in a bra. But great work so far keep it up!!!
  • Kiyamlol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat said:
    Fantastic stuff! Interesting seeing how different the style of this game is from the initial Kickstarter pitch.
    Thank you Magihat :)

Yes the game went through some major changes. I joined them from last year to work on the game and I have been working hard to learn new things. :) The alpha version was released recently.

Fazijinn said:
    Great work so far! Really loving the character development so far!
    I don't know if its just me (like probably personal taste) But I feel as though you should widen the hips a little like around the obliques just to give her some shape.  For me it feels to squarish at the moment. There's game characters that are similar to this character build like for example you have lightning from final fantasy 13. She has a skinny body but around the hips they widen it same with Vanille too. I also feel as though the collar bones are abit too strong, I softened out the middle part above the necklace and tightened up the cleavage a little because its in a bra. But great work so far keep it up!!!

Thank you Fazijinn, I managed to do adjustments to her collarbone. I had to tone down he hips because some believe the wide hips was too sexualized.

I did some adjustments to her eyes and cheek/neck area. Here are some higher quality renders.

• dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    Hey @Kiyamlol, those are some absolutely gorgeous renders! I really like your style and texture work. My only suggestion has to do with the size of her head (but I'm not sure if it's too late to change that now). She looks like she's currently around 7 heads tall and could maybe use a tweak to the size. I did a quick Photoshop transformation to show what I mean. 

This might age her up a little more but I think it still works with the concept art. Whichever direction you take I think it looks fantastic, so keep up the great work! I hadn't heard about Edge Of Eternity until now so I'll definitely follow it's progress moving forward.
  • stororokw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stororokw polycounter lvl 3
    Very nice work. The game model looks as good as the sculpt. I would love to see some wireframe shots if you can please. It seems in the sculpt the head was separate from the body how did you end up fixing the seam when you baked?

I agree with dGreenberg with the head size, but it could just be the concept art/style. Not sure how difficult it is to change now though.
  • Kiyamlol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
        dGreenberg said:
    Hey @Kiyamlol, those are some absolutely gorgeous renders! I really like your style and texture work. My only suggestion has to do with the size of her head (but I'm not sure if it's too late to change that now). She looks like she's currently around 7 heads tall and could maybe use a tweak to the size. I did a quick Photoshop transformation to show what I mean. 

This might age her up a little more but I think it still works with the concept art. Whichever direction you take I think it looks fantastic, so keep up the great work! I hadn't heard about Edge Of Eternity until now so I'll definitely follow it's progress moving forward.
    Thank you dGreenberg :), her head looks big possibly cos of the camera distortion. So to check i went to maya and resized her head, torso/leg ratio and height slightly. She was 160cm I brought her down to 158cm.

As you can see in the orthopgraphic views her head is quite small already I think? :) It is a dilemma ^^;

stororokw said:
    Very nice work. The game model looks as good as the sculpt. I would love to see some wireframe shots if you can please. It seems in the sculpt the head was separate from the body how did you end up fixing the seam when you baked?

I agree with dGreenberg with the head size, but it could just be the concept art/style. Not sure how difficult it is to change now though.
    Cheers stororokw,

Her head was originally part of the body, it was separated before baking and texturing. The head is under the collar so it was easier to resize and re-stitch afterwards. I cant get high quality wire renders from unity as I don't have a shader for it at this time :(. I only can manage unity scene wireframes and from maya. I am not sure if they are very clear to see much. I will try to get better ones soon.

• dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    It was definitely the camera distortion. The orthographic version looks like her head size is just right. 
  • f1ey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f1ey polycounter lvl 7
    nice work, check clavical and fossa jugularis (dont know how called it in english so will use latin -)) its to weird, boots need some fix in feet area, to big and flat 
  • Kiyamlol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f1ey said:
    nice work, check clavical and fossa jugularis (dont know how called it in english so will use latin -)) its to weird, boots need some fix in feet area, to big and flat 
    I will try to fix the boots, i think you are right, i made some adjustments to the neck area too.
  • Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    Good to hear you are fixing the boots, seeing how they would crush her feet and give no support for her body. I made a little gif illustrating suggestions on how they could work better.

• Kiyamlol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stororokw said:

Sorry stororokw I completely forgot to upload the wireframes! I have also adjusted her boots to look like the modification by Magihat. Thank you :) I would like to pose her but not so sure. Anyone got some ideas?

• stororokw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stororokw polycounter lvl 3
    @Kiyamlol Thanks for taking the time to post some hires wires. Feels like the bottom eyelid needs more of a downward facing plane (or maybe its just the texture/lighting), and the side of the nose a more noticable side plane. Maybe the top eyelid needs a smoother curve its kind of wobbly at the moment.