Home General Discussion

How do you explain a gap in your resume when you take time off to learn?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
poopstick polycounter lvl 3
I'm an aspiring 3D artist, I've been applying for jobs everywhere, had a few interviews and promises but nothings ever happened, I eventually got a job in QA, I was told it would be a foot in a door and I agree. I'm now almost a year into QA and it takes up all my time, I've used the internal applications in my workplace for dev positions with no luck. It's started to feel like this isn't a stepping stone at all.

I want to get out of the job for a while and really hone my skills. What can I put on my resume instead of having a big gap that ostensibly shows that I've just quit my job and sat at home doing nothing?

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the stepping stone is always portfolio , having connections or starting in a studio in another area will only make it slightly easier . I would definately work on your folio before worrying about your resume, if you work shines i am pretty sure that a gap is fine.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed, portfolio is THE most important thing.

One way to solve the resume thing is to simply add a line item identified as self-improvement. There are many terms to use for this... updating skillset, technical sabbatical, etc.
  • Michael_Ingrassia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Michael_Ingrassia polycounter lvl 5
    We all break away and step off the carousel once in a while. Don't fret it. If asked, just tell them. What really stands out worse on a resume is short durations at a job. Being at a studio for 1 year or less constantly is sometimes a sign of a difficult person, but not necessarily, at least that's how it tends to be perceived. I never look at resumes because I test every single applicant on real world production, on a trial basis,  before making a firm hire. My method is much better and gives many folks who ordinarily would not have a chance with the stupid methods big corporate hires from.
    Your portfolio work isn't bad, but there is no sign of what you do best or where a studio can fit you in. Sadly many studio recruiters can't see generalists, they only know pigeon holing. Right now you have a nice variety of many different looks but nothing focused. You might do better to create several more assets in one strong area of your skills. Pick a game or two that you would like to work on and model a few assets from it. You might also research what studios within 50 miles of your local are doing. Many studios don't pay relocation and prefer local hires.
  • poopstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopstick polycounter lvl 3
    We all break away and step off the carousel once in a while. Don't fret it. If asked, just tell them. What really stands out worse on a resume is short durations at a job. Being at a studio for 1 year or less constantly is sometimes a sign of a difficult person, but not necessarily, at least that's how it tends to be perceived. I never look at resumes because I test every single applicant on real world production, on a trial basis,  before making a firm hire. My method is much better and gives many folks who ordinarily would not have a chance with the stupid methods big corporate hires from.
    Your portfolio work isn't bad, but there is no sign of what you do best or where a studio can fit you in. Sadly many studio recruiters can't see generalists, they only know pigeon holing. Right now you have a nice variety of many different looks but nothing focused. You might do better to create several more assets in one strong area of your skills. Pick a game or two that you would like to work on and model a few assets from it. You might also research what studios within 50 miles of your local are doing. Many studios don't pay relocation and prefer local hires.
    I wish everywhere hired similarly to you! I'm seriously ready to dedicate a large portion of my time to a project, I'm itching to get started, I feel like all I need is to get into a job and visibly show someone my work ethic but I just can't get past that first hurdle. You raise a lot of good points and that's exactly what I'll do when I get some time off.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I feel like this is a common misconception by artists trying to make the big break.  Do not over think the resume, just because you have a gap in the resume does not mean the end of the world.  It is quite normal for developers to take some time off between projects, for many reasons.  Sure, maybe your time off was caused by just finding work in the industry was proving difficult, but honestly it comes down to display of work.  If that year (or whatever X amount of time) was spent in a productive manner towards your career path (time to get out of burnout, spending time with family, learning tools, portfolio pieces, whatever), then it was time well spent.  

There can be millions of different reasons behind it, and IMO, as long your personality, background check, etc., all check out, and you seem to be a great fit for the team... there should be no issue with what you are worrying about.  First and foremost, your work should do 90% of the talking, the resume is just another secondary tool on your utility belt in landing the job you want.  I've seen artists land jobs requiring "3+ years of experience or a shipped title", with no previous experience in the industry, just because their work and personality fit the bill perfectly.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    We all break away and step off the carousel once in a while. Don't fret it. If asked, just tell them. What really stands out worse on a resume is short durations at a job. Being at a studio for 1 year or less constantly is sometimes a sign of a difficult person, but not necessarily, at least that's how it tends to be perceived.
    I also hire people, and I totally agree with that view. Just be honest that you took time off for learning things. Of course, you should have something to show afterwards, either a folio piece or at least actual skills. I do recommend working at least on one piece while you learn. i.e. you will have study assets which you create for trying things, but there should be one asset where you apply in serious what you learned, and which you can then add to your folio.

Just having skills without a folio can be tough. The only way to demo them is in an art test. Personally I don't like art tests a lot, and I trust peoples' folios. However, without an art test, the only other way to test people is to use the probation period. And that only really makes sense if you don't have to pay up front for the new hire (e.g. relocation, sponsor a visa, etc.).
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I think I just put 'Taking classes, courses, and workshops' in my resume to indicate so.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Research and development of skills. Ideally with a link to the body of work you produced in that time.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    I took a 6 month gap to work on my portfolio last year, left the gap in my resume without any explanation and when asked about it I simply said that I was working on my portfolio which everyone was fine with. If you have a decent portfolio by the time you get to reapplying for work, or at least show an improvement from what you were doing before, people will assume that that's what you've been doing with your time.

That being said if you're really nervous about it there's no harm in adding something to say 'self improvement' or if you can pick up one or two freelance gigs just mark the time as freelance/ self improvement.

I'll also say for myself taking that time off to improve was by far the best thing I did for my personal work and skills, being able to dedicate 8 - 10 hours a day to portfolio work for 6 months taught me a ton. As people have said, your resume isn't that important until you start listing off projects you've worked on and then people might want to discuss specifics of your involvement in them, but for breaking in your portfolio and personality are what matter; and I'd even say showing that you had a job and decided to leave it to work on your portfolio and improve shows a tenacity that's very appealing to employers.