Home Technical Talk

Weird translation issues when importing bvh data into 3ds Max 2014

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
Hey all,
So I bought a new Perception Neuron mocap suit to help with my indie game and it's fantastic. Only problem is I'm getting some really weird results when I import the mocap data onto my biped. I'm posting here because the Perception Neuron forms are pretty much dead.

When importing BVH data onto a biped in Max 2014, you have two options when it comes to the different limb orientation... Knee, Elbow, Foot and Hand give you the choice of using either Point or Angle. By default the Knee and Elbow are set to Point and the Foot and Hand are set to Angle. If I use the default settings, I get the following results:

You can clearly see that the positioning of the arms is completely off. The image on the left is the raw data inside of the Axis Neuron software that comes with the suit and the right is Max's biped. This really isn't working, so I tried setting the elbow orientation to "angle" and while this does fix the issue with the positioning of the limbs (they are no longer crossed as in the above image) it adds a whole new problem and one that is much worse; The upper arms (and lower arms) for some weird reason are spinning along the Y axis (though somehow not causing the hands to spin). The easiest way for me to explain this is with a video:

http://youtu.be/WGMg9XZ1d_4

Any idea why this might be happening or how I can fix it?

Thanks!

Replies