Home Technical Talk

MAYA: Display Layers in Outliner.

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Fwap polycounter lvl 13
Does anyone know a way, native or via script, that lets me show display layers in Mayas outliner?
Would be super useful to have all the scene management tools under one roof.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to check: Do you want to show the layers as entries with other objects in the outliner, or a stacked Outliner/Layers similar to the Channel Box/Layers works?
  • kwyjibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwyjibo polycounter lvl 7
    display menu above outliner > turn off DAG objects only
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    @throttlekitty
    If you're familiar with Max's scene management tools, as close to that as I can.
    Basically;
    Layer
    -Group
    - -Mesh.

I tried toggling DAG objects only as kwjibo mentioned, It make a lot of junk asset visible as well, as well as having a mesh exists in 2 locations, on in the standard hierarchy and the other under the layer.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This one has me a little stumped as to how to best go about it, since you do need to turn off the DAG filter as kwyjibo mentions. And still I'm not sure the outliner can quite do what you're asking, since objects are members of a layer, not children (you can't actually parent anything to a layer object).

<div>string $special =`itemFilter -bt displayLayer transform`;

</div><div>outlinerEditor -edit -filter $special outlinerPanel1;</div>

Just for a quickie but the idea here is that you'd add whatever other objects types you need to that itemFilter This kind of works, but objects will jump all over as membership changes, and never be listed as layer|group|mesh, instead you get layer|group, layer|mesh1, layer|mesh2, etc.