Home Technical Talk

Modo 10.2 Features Revealed

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Zack Maxwell interpolator
Version 10.2 is due out October 13, and has some awesome features listed already.
One that really stands out to me is the improvement to animation (and rendering) performance, which has been a huge issue holding back animation in Modo.
Other features include;
  • A faster, easier-to-use, schematic-less MeshFusion (Apparently improves performance and gives cleaner results)
  • Further extensions to the procedural modeling system
  • The ability to package, share and reuse assemblies
  • New automatic retopology
Also includes un-specified "improved modeling UI and workflows", and "the option to use arbitrary meshes as light sources" as well as overall bug fixes.

There's also currently a 40% discount on new purchases, and 20% discount on upgrades.

I'm hoping some of the improvements to Mesh Fusion and Procedural Modeling include the ability to use those functions on normal meshes, instead of requiring unique proprietary ones utilizing only that tool. I know this was a goal for the procedural tools, at least.

Mesh Fusion

Auto-retopology

Procedural Modeling

Splines

User Interface

Replies

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Looks really solid, I may have to try it out again.
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    Is there a full changelist? I am wondering if they improved the bevel tool at all. 
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It doesn't look like they'll be giving a full list until it releases.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Scruples said:
    Looks really solid, I may have to try it out again.
    Me too. 3rd time lucky! Hopefully.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modo 10.2 is out! CGSociety has a feature list.
    The Foundry has also released a series of feature videos.
    "Animation performance improvements" turned out to be far less helpful than I think most were hoping.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    I think I just saw produceral booleans. Is it real life? 
  • NBLM
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    They can come up with Modo 11 all they want, but why would modo not allow me to copy the UI im working in, rename it and customize it to anyway i want ?

For now you cant copy a default window and rework it. You have to rebuild it from scratch and can sometimes not function like the original.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    peanut™ said:
    They can come up with Modo 11 all they want, but why would modo not allow me to copy the UI im working in, rename it and customize it to anyway i want ?

For now you cant copy a default window and rework it. You have to rebuild it from scratch and can sometimes not function like the original.
    Did you check the Layout menu? Its next to Render, System and Help.

You have the option to save as (layout) any existing layout. This will give you the option to create a new layout copied from the one you are in currently, it also gives you the option to replace the one you are in with a new one that you have modified.

Cheers.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the effort everyone, of course i know how to copy, save create a Layout. What im trying to say is that modo as some serious issues when it comes to the UI. It feels like a repacking on each version they release since the advent of floating menus.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    peanut™ said:
    Thanks for the effort everyone, of course i know how to copy, save create a Layout. What im trying to say is that modo as some serious issues when it comes to the UI. It feels like a repacking on each version they release since the advent of floating menus.
    To be fair, you did say "but why would modo not allow me to copy the UI im working in, rename it and customize it to anyway i want ? For now you cant copy a default window and rework it."

This is something you can do in Modo. Why would you say that and then follow it up with "of course i know how to copy, save create a Layout"? These are contradictory statements.

If you have a problem with some other part of the UI, then why didn't you say that instead? I agree the UI is not as customizable (or easy to customize) as I would like... in fact most of the major 3D apps don't give you a lot of UI to customize. Blender is probably the only one I can think of with more user control. When it comes to things like creating custom menus/popups, and tying them to hotkeys, that is actually pretty easy. I personally would love to see a total UI revamp, but it seems like they are more interested in polishing the existing one.

For example, Modo 10.2 comes with a beta version Modo's alternative interface. You just toggle it in the upper left hand corner. In it we see some experimentation more context sensitive UI elements, as well as a combining of various layouts into something more uniform. So at least work is being on done on it.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh! Hey there NBLM yes procedural booleans are graciously coming to Modo 10.2 clearly this is something to be happy with. Thank you for the heads-up. I will have a close look at what is next. 

Cheers!

NBLM said:

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Meshfusion is now absolutely wonderful, the modifier stack is still really simple when compared to 3ds/houdini/C4d especially in it's implementation with ghosting required for manipulation. I am going to continue using the trial until it's over but have already had several crashes in a fairly simple scene.

(I realize that you can get interactive modifier editing by referencing in another mesh but why would they make it like that?)

So far I think with some...a lot of customization it will be quite good.